Over heat

There may be other ways of solving this problem. First of all what alloy are you using? What kind of a burner is on your forge, venturi or blown? Do you have a pyrometer attached to our forge?

Some steels just need a regulated heat treating kiln/oven to properly austinize. Others don't. With simple steels like the 10XX or W groupls and probably even something of low complexity like 5260 or 9260 you can properly austinize the steel withoug overheating the steel if you are able to regulate the propane and air flow. Something like a pipe inside the forge that does not allow the flame to come into contact with the work could also help.

Doug

Hi,
found from use that you can't "Set and Forget" on a simple gas forge. first thought is get a pyrometer if you dont have one. then when heat treating, you may have to adjust flame frequently to keep blade in proper heat zone.
if you want to try electric, i would say shop on line for a front loading kiln. I dont understand why, but calling the same item "Heat Treat Furnace" allows manufacturer to increase price by 25%. I just purchased a paragon E9A for $250 delivered, which is big enough for a 12"x4" blade. I like that I can plug it in to any outlet and start heating.
scott

Back