Concept Military General purpose Fixed blade Knife

FGYT

Like many on here i've made a few Knives for Serving personnel etc and also have my own ideas so i started this as a side project to make a Knife that's generally useful to a soldier in the field for everyday tasks but still retains the ability as a last resort self defence weapon. Most on the market seem far too big and heavy carry or give load space to or are specific fighting knives and not much use for anything else

a concept (so lots of stuff put into one blade to see what works etc) based on several customer knives i've done for a General purpose/survival/bushy (with small lean for Self defense) Military use Knife (yes i know Hundreds on the market)

So i've combined some of the customer stuff with my own Ideas and a few serving or Ex Serving Friends

its starting with a good tough Carbon steel in 6mm (just under 1/4") 52100 with a Martinsite cross Bainite HT for extra strength which Im doing on most of my Blades now of this size

Its based on my XL blade lengths 143mm ( 5 5/8") and the extra handle length makes it 286mm (11 1/4") long and butt is 32mm (1 1/4") wide

This needs protecting so currently these 2 are shiny bare steel but will be going for either a DLC or Cerakote coating

Flandi ground with a 30 deg secondary and a micro bevel (or convex) etc

Spine is false edge 3/4 length and rounded the rest

long handle with textured G10 (and in this case as well cammo micarta .... not sure i like this stuff)

Hammer butt with lanyard lashing slots

DWB Triangle hole (cause I cant use a round one :p and is my logo outline ) as a fwd lashing point lash the pole on top of the tang/spine like a Bayonet mount

and it fits a hex drive bit so is actually useful ;)

another hex drive hole at the butt end (yes i know its an obsession)

weighs in at 280gms (just under 10 oz)

dwmbc600h.jpg

dwmbb600.jpg

dwmba600.jpg

Once blades Got back from DLC today so knocked up the Sheath for the CB one

DLC is a fair bit pricey so i think Cerakote as std will be best plus its not shiney for Military applications

only couple of quick photos in the dimming light

there are 3 blades one not got its scales yet as im waiting for a shipment from the USA

dwmbd700.jpg

and the set on its own Carbon fibre print Coyote Brown with a DWB Kydex Drop bracket fitted for 1" webbing loop (options on large or small tek lok or MOLLE etc etc )
tho the guy having this says hes going to Neck carry it :O:O

dwmbe700.jpg

Video here showing the Bracket attachment to the Cammo micarta version which has a Digicam Forest sheath

[video=youtube;8Xsk16n4dvg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xsk16n4dvg[/video]

ATB

Duncan

As an active duty user (and erstwhile neophyte maker) I'd say those look pretty nice, and I think cerakote will be a nice finish. My concern is always the grip, so i see that widened base and wonder if my pinkie would be pinched by that trailing butt, especially in gloves. One reason I still carry a Ka-Bar is that while the guard protects my fingers from sliding forward of course, the butt is only slightly flared on the back so I can slide around off that end and adjust grip as I need too. Your design probably works well, just going off the pictures and imagining ... overall well done, and I hope you sell many!

Cheers!

As an active duty user (and erstwhile neophyte maker) I'd say those look pretty nice, and I think cerakote will be a nice finish. My concern is always the grip, so i see that widened base and wonder if my pinkie would be pinched by that trailing butt, especially in gloves. One reason I still carry a Ka-Bar is that while the guard protects my fingers from sliding forward of course, the butt is only slightly flared on the back so I can slide around off that end and adjust grip as I need too. Your design probably works well, just going off the pictures and imagining ... overall well done, and I hope you sell many!

Cheers!

Thanks

probably due to the blade length balancing out but the handle is a very long one deliberately for gloves and a variance in grip length . I have big hands and even with thick gloves there room to move

As i said its not designed as a fighter so no cross guard But the handle is shaped enough to prevent you slipping fwds if stabbing and backwards if hammering (heads for defence or nuts for food )

its also all concept so needs a good while testing in the field real time

ATB

Duncan

Nice, like them.
Why cant you use a hole there? Busse uses one in the guard area not in front of plunge line.
Did they say you could not put there either?

Nice, like them.
Why cant you use a hole there? Busse uses one in the guard area not in front of plunge line.
Did they say you could not put there either?

yes a round hole there infringes Spyderco Trade mark ;)
where as a round hole (possibly any shape hole ) in the guard area infringes the BUSSE Patient

heres a few versions now made up think the Cerakote version will be the Std
one in a Multicam sheath is now on test with a UK SERE instructor

52100 Bearing steel Coyotee Brown G10 Stippled with Flat Dark Earth Cerakote blade and Holstex Coyotee Brn Carbon fibre print 1.5" Drop Leg bracket
dwmbcoyotebrown750.jpg

52100 Steel balde with Multicam Stippled G10 Scales DLC Coating SuperCam Kydex sheath 1.5" Drop Leg bracket
dwmbmulti750.jpg

N690 Stainless blade with Acid Etch Black n Grey Tiger stripe G10 Stippled scales and Urban Digi cam Kydex Gun metal Eyelets 1.5" Drop Leg bracket
dwmbdigigrey750.jpg

dwmbgroupin600.jpg

dwmbgroupout.jpg

As a retired Army type, my 2 cents/ pence worth is; overall looks good and very functional as is for general use military/ law enforcement knife.

The only addition/ option might be to add some saw teeth to the hilt end of the false edge (on the 3/4 length false edge model).

Just my opinion.

As a prior service grunt they look good 11 1/4 oal is plenty big yet compact enough to work with. The saw teeth on false edge may work or hinder iny opinion. A glass breaker the hex bit hole and, a stout durable flexable blade that holds its edge is all I wanted in a knife when I was in.

Back