Arrowhead/Points/Indian Artifacts

Chris Martin

Just wondering if any of you guys/gals hunt for point/Indian Artifacts?

I recently started and have had pretty good luck since I have only been at it 3 weeks:D I found what I believe to be a Dalton/Bird Point and a broken point that at one time was of good size. several scrapers/shards etc. Found out it may be a Beaver Lake....How in the hell do I tell the difference between a Dalton & BL?....lol I love this stuff. Said to be (7,000-11,000) B.P. Nice starter piece for my collection!

I would like to see and know what all you have found in your jouneys2thumbs

Any tips for a newb?

I have only been down to the Kaw Lake/Kaw Damn area to find these. I plan on doing more research and try and fine some creek beds etc to walk down.

I hear recent disturbed crop fields are a good place to hunt too if you can find owners willing.

I will post some pics of my humble pickings soon.
arrowhead.jpg

ArowheadfindsRandom2003.jpg

Post away guys/gals.....I would love to see hear of your finds!!!

Best,

Chris

Last edited:
I don't have any pics but I found an arrowhead while bowhunting about 10 yrs ago. A small mesquit tree raised it partially out of the dirt. It was very cool to find something like that. My wife put it away somewhere and I never found it again.

I found it north of Laredo , TX around Encinal.

Very cool Frank....too bad your wife "Hid" it from ya...hehe Its amazing what is out there just waiting to be found. Some people may think its a waste of time....But I think of it as finding some very interesting pieces of history.

Thanks for sharing Frank!!!

Chris

I don't have any pics but I found an arrowhead while bowhunting about 10 yrs ago. A small mesquit tree raised it partially out of the dirt. It was very cool to find something like that. My wife put it away somewhere and I never found it again.

I found it north of Laredo , TX around Encinal.

Chris the part of Kentucky that I live in was once an area for the meeting of the tribes. People find arrowheads and tools on a daily basis here. Farmers turn them over in their fields and loggers running dozers and skidders turn them over all the time. My wife's Uncle (a farmer) has between 400 and 500 arrowheads mounted and boxes upon boxes of them un-mounted. He only mounts the ones that are in near perfect condition. A logger friend of mine has just as many if not more. He looks in caves and old streambeds when he's not working. Kentucky sits atop limestone caves all over the state, Mammoth Cave being the most famous. Somerset sits on the banks of Lake Cumberland, a 70 mile long Corps of Engineers lake that is dammed by Wolf Creek Dam. The Corps recently found that the dam has some cracks due to the fact that it is settling. Surprise surprise C of E, the dam is built over caves, too. As a result of the problem with the dam the Corps has lowered the lake some 60 odd feet. This has allowed artifact hunters the opportunity to search parts of the shoreline that have been underwater since the early '50s and they are finding all kinds of treasures. Just a side note, those of you in Nashville should be praying that the dam doesn't break because you will certainly be swimming.

Denton,

That sounds like an outstanding location for hunters/gatherers!!!

Oklahoma is rich with Indian history as well. I think it is said that Oklahoma has more Indians that any other state. That could be wrong...but have been doing my research since I am not from here.

I hope to find a nice collection to pass onto my kids. I am sure I will...I am hooked big time...my daughter goes with us too...so she will catch on2thumbs

Would love to see some pics of your finds guys. If you ever get a chance....snap some. I am training my mind so all pics help.:D

Good stuff Denton!

Chris

Chris the part of Kentucky that I live in was once an area for the meeting of the tribes. People find arrowheads and tools on a daily basis here. Farmers turn them over in their fields and loggers running dozers and skidders turn them over all the time. My wife's Uncle (a farmer) has between 400 and 500 arrowheads mounted and boxes upon boxes of them un-mounted. He only mounts the ones that are in near perfect condition. A logger friend of mine has just as many if not more. He looks in caves and old streambeds when he's not working. Kentucky sits atop limestone caves all over the state, Mammoth Cave being the most famous. Somerset sits on the banks of Lake Cumberland, a 70 mile long Corps of Engineers lake that is dammed by Wolf Creek Dam. The Corps recently found that the dam has some cracks due to the fact that it is settling. Surprise surprise C of E, the dam is built over caves, too. As a result of the problem with the dam the Corps has lowered the lake some 60 odd feet. This has allowed artifact hunters the opportunity to search parts of the shoreline that have been underwater since the early '50s and they are finding all kinds of treasures. Just a side note, those of you in Nashville should be praying that the dam doesn't break because you will certainly be swimming.

Thank you sir. I figure train her early and she will follow foot! Sje is only 2 years old and loves it down by the river.

Hope you get out and do some hunting...its fun regardless of finding anything...Just good to be out there ya know it.

Best to you and yours buddy.

Chris

Awesome...I need some pointers/tips.

Lets get him over here so he can show us what a real collection looks like!

There some real beautiful looking stuff out there. I will find some....give me time:D

Cool, Our Friend BubbaSan collects arrowheads2thumbs

When I was a kid I found a couple of arrowheads on the farm that used to be up the street from the house. We would walk across the farm to get to the stream that was on the other side. I'm sure they're still around here... I probably put them in a safe place. I always assumed they were from the Lenni-Lenape Indians of NJ.

Very cool. Least ya know you have them some place safe:D

If you ever come across them post some pictures. I have been to the dark side of the net and back looking at all things artifacts2thumbs Just another obsession of mine now:bud:

When I was a kid I found a couple of arrowheads on the farm that used to be up the street from the house. We would walk across the farm to get to the stream that was on the other side. I'm sure they're still around here... I probably put them in a safe place. I always assumed they were from the Lenni-Lenape Indians of NJ.

You're in luck, Chris... I found them in the third place I looked! :D

The top one is about 1 5/8" long and a lighter grey than what it appears in the picture.
The bottom one is about 1 1/4" long and black.

Since I'm sure I found them when I was a teenager, they were probably found sometime around 1960. If you'd like to have them, pm me your address and I'll take care of the postage. If I put them back in the box where I found them, they will likely sit for another 50 years! :D

005.jpg

Clyde,

Those are awesome buddy. You sure you wouldnt want to give them to your kids/grandkids? They would make great gifts2thumbs I would hate to take them off your hands and a family member of yours miss out.

Either way that is very kind of you to offer up your finds like that. 2thumbs2thumbs

You're in luck, Chris... I found them in the third place I looked! :D

The top one is about 1 5/8" long and a lighter grey than what it appears in the picture.
The bottom one is about 1 1/4" long and black.

Since I'm sure I found them when I was a teenager, they were probably found sometime around 1960. If you'd like to have them, pm me your address and I'll take care of the postage. If I put them back in the box where I found them, they will likely sit for another 50 years! :D

005.jpg

Clyde,

Those are awesome buddy. You sure you wouldnt want to give them to your kids/grandkids? They would make great gifts2thumbs I would hate to take them off your hands and a family member of yours miss out.

Either way that is very kind of you to offer up your finds like that. 2thumbs2thumbs

They're yours if you want them, Chris. At least you've shown an interest in them.

Thank you Clydetzbouncewow1 They will go to a good home, trust that!!!

Come on guys/gals.....would love to see and hear more finds/stories2thumbs

I am going again this weekend with the wife so hope to have a lot better pictures of some more nice finds.

Thanks again buddy! I truly appreciate it.

Chris

"My wife put it away somewhere and I never found it again."

That's what happened to the last guy that had it!

5,000 years from now, somebody will be walking by the ruins of your house.............

I have a few godar points I received from James Beiler (Bubba-san).

I made the comment that I would like to own one and he pm'ed me for my address and told me I had some headed my way!

IIRC they are from between 500-1500 BC.

I'll toss some pics up tomorrow when I get the chance. It's pretty cool to know you have something that old in your possession. I often wonder where they've been and if they ever saw time on a shaft.

pretty cool.

I still have quite a few prehistoric points and knives , most large points that are sometimes called spears are actually knives. I will post a few I have several thousand points most were found by me near st. Louis . they range in age from historic 1700 ad to about 12,ooo bc. If some of you guys like them I can post a few every week . enjoy, I wore out many pairs of tennis shoes walking the plowed fields in missouri and Illinois near cahokia mounds . been looking since I was 15 years old . Those were the good ol days Bubba

Last edited:
Awesome,

Stabba Dabba told me Bubba-san was a hunter and had lots of them. I agree, the hole thought of how old or what he intended on making it for. Even what was on his mind at the time he flaked off a knife or arrowhead? I think that is what has me hooked most....just being able to find artifacts like this and know there is some sort of history to it many moons ago.

I look forward to seeing your pics2thumbs

Thanks for sharing,

Chris

I have a few godar points I received from James Beiler (Bubba-san).

I made the comment that I would like to own one and he pm'ed me for my address and told me I had some headed my way!

IIRC they are from between 500-1500 BC.

I'll toss some pics up tomorrow when I get the chance. It's pretty cool to know you have something that old in your possession. I often wonder where they've been and if they ever saw time on a shaft.

pretty cool.

Back