Hurricane Ida

C Craft

I have got to finish getting ready here today to make last minute preparations for hurricane Ida, a (category 2 hurricane) expected to make landfall here in N.W. Florida. She appears to be headed right down our throats this morning. It is predicted to make landfall late tonight or early this morning. Somewhere close to Pensacola, Fl., as a category 1 or possibly a very strong tropical storm. The one thing that I have learned about these storms is that they are very unpredictable. A week ago our local weather station predicted that this storm would never develop. Wrong! So I never put too much stock in the predicted path, especially if it is anywhere close. I have been listening to the weather channel and it was saying it was coming ashore a 100 miles from here, when we were actually getting punched head on. A fact they admitted much later, (not that helped any)!
Really sucks though, as I thought we might escape any such storms this year. It’s too late in the year but then, that is just an opinion, not a fact. The bad part is everyone needs to get ready to pay more for a gallon of gas at the very least for a while. They have already shut down the rigs in the Gulf and even if they are not damaged the shut down time will cause an increase.
Well got to go start tying things down and make a run to grocery store, the pharmacy, and cover a few more essentials before tonight. I made a trip to the gas station last night and filled several gas cans for the generator if the power goes out and it most likely will.
If you have never been through one you don’t now how much of a pain in the backside it can be. It’s a storm that can tear apart and destroy everything you have worked for in a short amount of time. If you are lucky enough to miss that part. You still have to deal with the aftermath! No power and or water for several days at the least. No gas, no food or ice to keep anything cold. The yards will be litter with broken and downed trees and a foot deep in debris that looks like someone turned a whisper chopper lose in the yard!
Oh, enough of this whining and complaining. Everyone cross their fingers and say a prayer for all those that are about to get the brunt of this storm, because no one will escape it totally unscathed!

C Craft,

Batten the hatches and keep your head down !

We're only suspected to get some rain and wind over here but as you said you just never know.

Please keep us updated after she goes by if possible.

Good luck to you and yours !

-Josh

Sorry to hear you are so close to where Ida is coming in. I'm a bit further in from the coast (about 60-70 miles). Not alot of preperation is going on here so I'm assuming the locals know what they are doing. This is the first time I've been this close to the coast when a hurricane was coming. The weather channel said a few minutes ago that Ida is predicted to be a category 1. Please excuse my ignorance about hurricanes. I'm not sure if that is better or worse than a category 2.

You and everyone else in the path of this storm will be in our thoughts and prayers. I'm in southeast Ms, but if there is anything I can do to help, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

It's a strong Tropical Storm now and weakening, still never a good thing but better than a Cat 2 storm.

Prayers are with you, sir. My wife and I lived in Myrtle Beach, SC when Hugo hit in 1989. We lived a block and a half from the beach and evacuated to a friends house that was 3 blocks from the beach. We lost our home and our jobs but thank God we were not injured. Like C Craft said, if you've not been through one you can't imagine the devastation. When we were finally able to return to what was left of our home we saw where beach houses had once been. They had been sucked out to sea and all that was left was some stubbed up plumbing pipes.

Since I posted this morning it looks like its going to down grade :p and they have changed point of making landfall about 60 miles west of us. That will put us on the bad side of the storm, huh1 but hopefully it won' be too bad. When they are headed right at you like this one was forecast too I never take it for granted.
I rode out a cat 3 that came ashore just shy of a cat 4 that was supposed to only be a cat 1 when it hit. Go figure they weren't even close on the speed of that one at landfall. That one was enough to make me decide that anything over a cat 2 and I am leaving next time. It just ain't worth it. I had a tornado touch in my back yard that night and then lift over the house!! :eek: You could stand in my front door the next day and see for a 1/2 mile the direction it went as it layed the trees down in a twisted path. I am lucky though as I am on high ground and inland about 30 + miles from the coast and 20 + miles from the bay as the crow flies, so wind and tornadoes are the worst two things we can expect.
When I first bought this property I had nearly 1 1/2 acre wooded lot. After the past years hurricanes I now have only a handful of trees on the whole 1 1/2 acres. Still have a lot of stumps though. :D
Maybe I am just getting old but I hate the clean up after these darn things. I guess this is the price you pay for living here!

Last edited:
Update on Ida

She dropped from a Cat 2 storm and came ashore as a tropical storm, close to Mobile Al. The good Lord has smiled on us. There has been a lot of beach erosion and some flooding has occurred and will continue to occur because of the rain she brought ashore and continues to dump through out today. We got a lot of rain here and some wind last night but the mornings light finds us doing well!

Dang, I'm glad that I don't have to deal with those things anymore, just tornados. Glad that you are ok and watch out for the flooding.

Doug Lester

Back