New TOY!!

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
Its been a long time coming!!! I have had the ability to RC test at my local machine shop for years. and have done so on so many occasions. They dont even ask me what I am doing and I just walk in and use there RC tester like I own the place! lol Thats probably why I waited so long.

The only problem was there hours and mine were VERY different so most of the time I couldnt test in mid HT or between tempers, etc.

Not any more. :) Now I can really work on refining my HT process even further. and with the addition of Stainless steels and Ciquid nitrogen treatments. Im gona need this baby!

Thanks to Mr Cashen for his time and advise on these tools.
God Bless
Randy

Attachments

• Rockwell tester!! Ohh yea! 001 (533x800).jpg
    Rockwell tester!! Ohh yea! 001 (533x800).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 94
Yup cashen was telling me about this i am jealous for the 2nd time now, congrats-on the new toy!!!!

From reading on here, I understand the hand held type is not as accurate as the bench mounted type. seems like that was the info - I'm sure someone with real knowledge will chime with info.

Ken H

Thanks Guys!

Yes Ken, thats why I picked the bench top over the portable. As I understand it. There are less variables that can/do change the readings. That means truer tests overall..

Although I base this "fact" on the word of a few respected and trusted members of the metal community. and not just the ramblings of a mad man like myself! :) I have only used these bench top testing units so I am also comfortable with this setup.

God Bless YA!
Randy

Best of luck with your hardness tester. How do you get an Rc number on a Damascus blade that is made from different steels with differential hardness?

I really like the question about checking the damascus blades. I hope someone with knowledge on this will pass it along to the ones that could use it also.
Thanks in advance for any time someone may put into this question.

Well, I'm not all that knowledgeable but here's some input. My luck with hardness testing Damascus blades has not been great. If you look at spec sheets for heat treating damasteel, they give different hardnesses for the different alloys involved. Something with nickel in it is just going to have unhardened layers and the diamond probably penetrates a few layers. There are few experts that I respect as much as Kevin Cashen, and he tells me that there is generally enough carbon migration to give generally consistent hardness results through Damascus. I personally use the tester on Damascus to make sure my process worked, but don't read much specific from those results.

Best of luck with your hardness tester. How do you get an Rc number on a Damascus blade that is made from different steels with differential hardness?

here is my take on this. First... I do not differential heat treat my damascus blades. So I can not speak to how it effects the hardness or testing of hardness on my damascus.

I do full hardening and test multiple locations on the piece and average the results to determine a RC#

Some steel as said can be a challenge to heat treat because of the "mix" I try and steer clear of these steels as much as possible. Because even B4 having a tester I found them to be inconstant as a cutting tool. And things like nickle will effect a RC test..

Im sure there are many who can share there knowledge in this area!! Mr Cashen where are you?

Im sure there are many who can share there knowledge in this area!! Mr Cashen where are you?

Although I am in the midst of the dreaded Blade show crunch, I would be happy to provide some answers, but I think it would be best to establish if I am a guy qualified to give those answers. When time is short I have no problem sparing some if I can provide something of value.

I have worked primarily with pattern welded steels for around 20 years now, researching, studying it and testing it. I have several notebooks filled with Rockwell readings I have done on the material over the years, so much so I have had to take to computerizing the data, and worn out diamond “C” scale penetrators. I was the first to compete in, and win, an ABS cutting competition with a damascus blade (around 2002). In 2003 Tim Zowada and I spent a good portion of a summer on the most in-depth of its kind, that I know of, comparative study of over half a dozen of the most common damascus mixes, which we presented at the 2003 New England Bladesmithing Seminar in Ashokan, NY. Testing included- Rockwell “C” and “B”, cutting ability based on abrasion resistance on various standard materials under 10 psi, impact toughness based on Charpy “V” notch, and all in conjunction with exhaustive microscopic examination/metallography.

Please understand that I offer none of the above to brag, as I despise braggarts, but to simply offer any qualifications that I may have to give insight to this topic. I prefer to avoid, at all costs, giving input about things that I really don’t know much about. On the other hand, it is in choosing those who do have credible knowledge on a topic that people gain valuable input, I leave it to you good folks to determine if I meet that criteria, while I get some more steel polished before next Thursday:3:.

Umm.. Your qualified!! :)

But honestly. I dont think it worthy of your time or efforts at this point. Get them blades ready for the show. Ill catch up with ya after Bade!!

God Bless YA
Randy

Back