dry ice

franklin

i saw that you can make your own dry ice with a co2 tank spray co2 into cloth bag and bang dry ice any one try this and is it cost efective?

I can buy dry ice at the grocery store 4 blocks from my house for 7$ a pound. I can cold treat 15 blades with 1/2 a pound. For me, no way in the world it's worth the trouble to make my own.

but i cant find it anywhere around me,no grocery store are carring,any ideals where else to go?

We could get it at the same welding supply we get our LN from - but IIRC it was about $50 for a bag that lasted about 24 hours.

I cant even find a welding shop around me that carrys it. so was thinking if you had the tank you could make as little or as much whenever you needed.

Larry, I have not heard this. But if it works and you have the stuff to try it. I say give it a whirl!

Ive always gotten mine at Kroger stores, might look under commercial ice companies on the yellow pages, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

God Bless
Mike

guys i just tried this its so easy its not funny we had a old used co2 fire exstinguisher put a pillow case around nozel and spray that easy just make sure its a co2 tank. out of a 10 second blast i got about 6 cups dry ice cool!!!!!!!!!!

guys i just tried this its so easy its not funny we had a old used co2 fire exstinguisher put a pillow case around nozel and spray that easy just make sure its a co2 tank. out of a 10 second blast i got about 6 cups dry ice cool!!!!!!!!!!

Not to butt in but are you sure it's dry ice? A lot of fire extinguishers also use a powder sort of flame retardent stuff, It's cold when it comes out and would be white but it isn't dry ice.
I need to ask though as my knowledge of what you're doing is non-existant. Why do you cold treat a blade? Is it like cryogenic treatment?

That could just be frozen condensation from the air.

Dry ice is pretty dense and very cheap.

I can buy it at several local welding shops

Yes, it's cryotreatment and there's a far amount if conflict over what it does. The only thing that it's reliable for, according to metallurgists I've corresponded with, is triggering retained austinite to convert to untempered martensite. Of course, if you are using a steel that doesn't form much in the way of retained austinite, all you are doing is making your blades real cold. It's also will not get your blades as cold as liquid nitrogen which might be necessary with some of the higher alloy tool and stainless steels. So it boils down to a matter of whether or not you need to cryotreat and how cold you need to get your steel for it to be of any advantage to you.

Doug

well guys they say its dry ice, if i could buy it i would i have serched every where around me to no avail. if you want to see what i am doing it is on you tube just serch how to make dry ice with co2 . yes i am useing to cryo 440-c i do not have a dewar and again i dont now why but Ln is really hard to find around were i live.

well guys they say its dry ice, if i could buy it i would i have serched every where around me to no avail. if you want to see what i am doing it is on you tube just serch how to make dry ice with co2 . yes i am useing to cryo 440-c i do not have a dewar and again i dont now why but Ln is really hard to find around were i live.

I've seen it done, but you still have to have the cylinder filled eventually

Have you tried these locations?

They should be able to provide both, especially the closes branch that is a fill station

Give the 1-800 number a call and see what the closest location is.

http://www.airgas.com/customer_service/site_locator.aspx

Home / Store Locator
Store Locator PRINT PAGE

Find the store near you.

CHOOSE LOCATION TYPE
Branch/Store/Ice Distribution Medical Branch Equipment Rental
Welder Repair Penguin Brand Dry Ice Retailer
SINGLE SEARCH
Zip Code City State
OR
CLEAR SEARCH

Closest Airgas Store:
866-924-7427
Airgas Safety:
800-827-2338
Airgas Puritan Medical:
800-736-6427

Airgas Dry Ice:
800-295-2225

Store Search Results
Display:

Distance: 14 miles
Name: North Division - North Central Region
Phone: (608) 241-1440
Fax: (608) 241-1357
Address: 4101 Robertson Rd.,
Madison, WI 53714-3118
Facility Type(s): Retail Store
Branch
Fill Plant
Airgas National Carbonation

Distance: 22 miles
Phone: (608) 754-5572
Fax: (608) 754-1878
Address: 965 Center Avenue,
Janesville, WI 53546

Distance: 41 miles
Phone: (920) 887-3260
Fax: (920) 887-7766
Address: W8259N Crystal Lake Road,
Beaver Dam, WI 53916-9337
Branch

Distance: 52 miles
Phone: (815) 874-1448
Fax: (815) 874-0497
Address: 5635 International Drive,
Rockford, IL 61109
Facility Type(s): Branch
Retail Store

Distance: 60 miles
Phone: (414) 527-4500
Fax: (414) 527-4904
Address: 11927 West Silver Spring Dr.,
Milwaukee, WI 53225-2919
Branch
Fire Protection

Thanks count never heard of airgas.
And if you look at those results the closest to me is a 28 mile round trip. now you can see there is not much around the next is 44 mile round trip.
I will be giving them a call,how much was it a # from them?

Thanks count never heard of airgas.
And if you look at those results the closest to me is a 28 mile round trip. now you can see there is not much around the next is 44 mile round trip.
I will be giving them a call,how much was it a # from them?

I'm in Canada so my prices will never correlate with yours in the US
We sometimes pay double or triple your welding gas prices from the info I've gathered on some welding forums.
We have a minimum charge and or minimum weight so it's always been that much

give them a call.

I was thinking that 14 miles away from the fill plant was pretty lucky, as long as your not walking :)

Most of my good suppliers are an hour and a half away

Back