Chevron Tecaco 70 quench oil

kamikazej

Gold Membership
What steels would this quench oil be good for ? Good quench oil is so hard to find and this is the only stuff that I can find online so I would like to just pick a steel that this oil is good for. Thanks

I'll await more experienced oil-quench guys take on this as well. I saw the 5 gallon bucket from Jantz available and have been contemplating calling them for more information on it. I'd like to know it's comparison to Parks 50.

I have to suggest you contact Maxim Oil. They have competent expertise, a great selection and knife friendly customer service second to none (well except BOSS maybe :biggrin: )

You need to (and can) choose your quench to match your steel choice. To do otherwise is like choosing a vehicle to match the tires you have on hand.

My 2 cents

Rob!

I like Jantz. They get stuff to me quick. But before I paid $150 for a five gallon pail of Texaco #70, I'd order a five gallon pail of Parks AAA (or the Maxim Oil equivalent) for around $86 (that's how much mine cost including shipping) or Parks #50 (or the Maxim Equivalent) for around $125 (my total cost including shipping). Jantz and Maxim are fairly close, probably about 125 miles apart, so shipping to you should be fairly close to what Jantz would charge.

Iirc, I believe Texaco is a slower quench oil along the lines of Parks AAA. Hopefully KC will stop by and help you out on that.

But it's your call. I just wanted to show you some other options.

Back