Vertical or horizontal for HT?

jonathan creason

Do you guys have a preference as far as vertical versus horizontal for heat treating? My thinking is a vertical forge would make it easier to evenly heat the blades and not have the hot spots to contend with. Would a freon tank be a suitable shell for a vertical forge if all I was doing was heat treating? My main concern is once I got the wool and castable lining the chamber would be on the small side.

Jonathan,

Vertical is the only way to go for heat treating. I don't think you would be satisfied with a freon tank unless all you are doing is very small blades.

OK, I took a couple of down and dirty pics and edited out the clutter in the background.

The first one is the smaller vertical. The burner goes in at the bottom at an angle. I use the same burner for all three forges by just sliding it out of one and into another.

The smaller forge is made from 1/4" thick pipe (12" inside diameter) X 16" tall. I use 1" kaowool in the bottom, top, and sides. It has a front door and back door. I put my thermocouple through the back door and usually close it off with a hard firebrick.

SMVerticalForge.jpg

The larger one is used for larger blades (choppers, etc.). It is just like the other one, except larger. (20" inside diameter X 24" tall) It is lined with 2" kaowool on bottom, top, and sides. It too has a back door.

Hope these give you some ideas........... Robert

LGVerticalForge.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I guess Jonathan is a super busy guy, or maybe he is one of those hit-and-run posters. I spent a couple of hours trying to take a few pics and editing for clarity. If you are gonna ask a question, at least have the decency to respond to those who are trying to assist.

Pardon my "Geezer-Ness". I have occasional flash-backs of when folks appreciated help.

That is all................... Robert......... "Geezer-King"

Robert, I'm sorry the OP didn't come back to at least say "Thank you" - so please allow me to say "Thank You" for taking the time to comment and the photos. I was interested in the same question myself, but hadn't posted. I was thinking a vertical is best for HT - since no-body else commented, it looks like most agree with that vertical is best for HT.

Thank you again for your effort - it is appreciated by newbies like me how are just learning.... and just have too many hobbies to focus on just one<:)

Ken H>

well, i guess jonathan is a super busy guy, or maybe he is one of those hit-and-run posters. I spent a couple of hours trying to take a few pics and editing for clarity. If you are gonna ask a question, at least have the decency to respond to those who are trying to assist.

Pardon my "geezer-ness". I have occasional flash-backs of when folks appreciated help.

That is all................... Robert......... "geezer-king"

ditto!

My appologies, Robert. I have been out of the office since Thursday, and for some reason can't view pictures on my phone right now. That does help, and I appreciate your time and effort.

Not a problem Jonathan. I tend to get a bit cranky in my old age.

If I can help in any way, just let me know.

Robert

I have a vertical heat treatment kiln from evenheat through tim zowada. Inside it I put a 6" diameter cast iron pipe. The thing is wonderful for consistent heat over the length of a 28" sword blade (within 10F, usually less, across the whole blade). That is, once the oscillations of temp even out. It takes about 40min to come to temp. But, it has made heat treating much easier for me. Blades are better as a result, and when I do hamons, they look better, too!

just a thought. if you are able to get or make a dedicated heat treating oven, go for it.
kc

A HT oven is high on my "one of these days" list, Kevin. Just no way to make it happen right now. Hopefully once I get the new forge up and running I'll at least be able to handle my usual 1084 with better results.

Back