Rc tester

Shane Wink

Any of y'all have a Rc tester in your shop? I am looking for one thinking this would really make an improvement in my heat treating and know what the Rc value is vs what I hope it to be. Any suggestions on a machine?

I would also like to have an hardness tester for my shop but the problem is the cost of one that will measure hardness on something as thin as a knife blade. They generally run north of $2K new. You may be able to get a used one for around $1200 but you run the risk of getting a unit that's too old for the manufacturer to repair anymore. If you have the scratch needed, go for it. Just make sure that it can measure steel a thin as knives.

Doug

Hmm well I do but that would cost me too much in honey do's and several trips to the mother-in-laws and that's a deal breaker!!

Anyone else?

I have been eyeballing this one for when I can afford an oven.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Hardness-Tester/G9645

I have been wondering if it was worth the money. Grizzly is hit or miss on their products it seems.

That is the same one I have been looking at buying. I believe they are sold by several different companies and the only difference is the paint color. Personally I believe it would be better to buy a new one like this than try to refurbish an old one. With good test blocks this should be all thats needed for what we do. Just my .02.

I have one that I will sell for $1,100.00. I will be able to deliver it to the Big Blu meeting the 3rd weekend in March or to the Batson Blade Symposium at Tannehill, Alabama, or it can be picked up at my shop in Sunbright, Tn. complete with manual and accessories.

Ok, I guess that I was thinking more of portable units. There is that one, but it's still not cheap. As long as you don't want to move it it should work and it's still a little less than buying a used hand held unit.

Doug

I did not.know they were that much. I have a grand to spend but if I bought it I would not be able to finish the salt pots. Well looks like there is a new toy to save for yet again

That is the same one I have been looking at buying. I believe they are sold by several different companies and the only difference is the paint color. Personally I believe it would be better to buy a new one like this than try to refurbish an old one. With good test blocks this should be all thats needed for what we do. Just my .02.

Darrin,
I would double check that the internals are really the same? Grizzly's stuff is made in China/Taiwan and I do own one of their wood bandsaws & a Harbor freight metal cutting 4 x6 Bandsaw, But I would prefer A RC tester or any precision measuring tool to be made in the USA or Japan or northern Europe possibly?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

The one I have was made in China. When I got it I checked the test blocks that came with it on a friends machine that was made in the U. S. A.(Exact same design,by the way.) and they were accurate,my machine gets the same readings as his does so I am confidant that my Chinese made Rc tester is as good as the same design that was originally made in the U.S.A.

The one I have was made in China. When I got it I checked the test blocks that came with it on a friends machine that was made in the U. S. A.(Exact same design,by the way.) and they were accurate,my machine gets the same readings as his does so I am confidant that my Chinese made Rc tester is as good as the same design that was originally made in the U.S.A.

That looks like mine. I've had it for around 20 years. I did as Calvin did, and checked the test blocks using a tester at work. Exactly the same. Mine has been a very good investment, since I've always done all my heat treat. No problems with it.

I've got the same chinese one as all the other posters in this thread. I think you could get away with known carbon steel without one, but I sure wouldn't want to do stainless without a tester. I paid 400 for mine used, but that was a smoking deal. I know the owner paid near 900 for it, but he passed away. I bought the tester, an etcher, and a bunch of materials from his widow. She gave me great prices, with full knowledge of values.

Here is a great USA made hardness tester that I have owned for twenty years! It is made by Pacific Transducer Corp. and it is there model 415C it comes with test blocks and cost currently around $1000.00 bucks. I paid under $500.00 twenty years ago ! It chucks up into your drill press for very accurate readings, I test it with the certified test blocks and against a $10,000 hardness tester at a local heat Treater, very accurate and still working great!
www.ptc1.com
If that link does not work, do a Google search for pacific transducer corp. hardness tester.
Clint

Thanks, Clint. I may save up my pennies to get one of them. I will just have to lay the blade on my anvil to make up for the mass like the manual says.

Doug

There was a few new ones on Ebay in the $800 range. There is a Wholesale Tools outlet nearby that has a new one for $799. They've banned me from looking at it because they're tired of wiping my drool off of it!

Back