Heat treating cmp 3v?

Kentucky

Ive been researching cmp 3v a lot lately and have come up with several heat treat reipes..Mainly two..Seems that some like the high aust. temp and high temper of *roughly 975*-1000* and some like a lower aust. temp with cryo and lower tempering of about *400..Id like to hear your thoughts on this. Also is a full Ln cryo needed to reduce RA in the second recipe I mentioned or would a sub zero quench work?

Crucible recommends the high temper and one of their reps even cautioned against the low temper. However, some VERY respected makers use the low temper. Wi5h informed permission of a number of customers, I started trying the low temper. Of course, the steel comes out of temper much cleaner, and the customers have been happy with the results. The 400F temper always leaves me pretty close to RHC 60. In the high range, you only have to miss the temperature a tiny bit and results go south fast. I now use 400F in the absence of any request to the contrary.

Thanks, what about the cryo? being the alloy it is, would a sub zero quench be a satisfactory substitute?

Back