Central Florida Knife/Hammer-In

Josh Dabney

I've been working in conjunction with Todd Fischer and Tom Watson over at the Customknifesandguns forum to get this set up. I originally planned to organize a Hammer-In for the Flori-Dogs social group and found out they were also planning a Hammer-In so I contacted Todd and we decided to join forces in planning this event.

CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIFE-IN/HAMMER-IN

When: Saturday January 16th 2010. Demonstrations beginning at 10:00 AM
Schedule:
Attendees may start arriving at 8am. Demonstrations run from 10 to 12
Lunch break from 12 to 1
Demonstrations run from 1 till 6
Dinner
Social time, swap meet (bring tools, materials, etc you’d like to sell), show and tell (bring some of your work to show off !)
Campfire for evening entertainment
There is the possibility of the event carrying over to Sunday without Demos
Where:
Hosted at the shop of Todd Fischer http://www.fischercustomknives.com/
8825 Pritcher Rd
Lithia Fl, 33547

Registration - Registration MUST be completed by signing onto the Registration Thread in the Grind section at www.customknivesandguns.com
We are limiting registration to 50 people so be sure to register ASAP if
interested in attending. Please use this thread only for registration purposes.
The cut-off date for registration will be December 15th, 2009
There is a Registration Fee of $20 per person payable at the
event ( this fee is to cover the consumable expenses of the event: propane,
steel, food, electricity, belts, portalet, etc.)

Demonstrations:
Neil Blackwood - Framelock Folder Design and Construction
Tom Watson - Construction of the Flipper Folder
Todd Fischer - Blade forging with the Power Hammer
Stan Wilson - Fitting Dovetailed Bolsters on Folders
Dave Cole - Leather, Lacing the Mexican Basketweave
Alan Folts - Anodizing Titanium.
Reese Weiland - Filework
( This is our tentative list of Demos, in no particular order)

Food - Lunch and dinner: Shrimp, Grouper, Hamburgers, Hotdogs, chips, beans, potato salad, cole slaw.
Bring Along - We are recommending that everyone bring a lawn chair and supply their own
beverages. We are also requesting, if possible, please bring a covered side dish, chips, or a
desert to share with the group.
Accommodations - Space for camping is available on-site for those who don't mind roughing
it. Standard outlet power and cold water is available. Porta-john will be provided. Hotel
accommodations may be found in Mulberry or Plant City.

Bring along- Attendees wishing to do some hands on forging need to provide their own steel.
Attendees wishing to do some hands on grinding need to provide their own steel and 2x72 grinding belts.

Organizers- Todd Fischer- admin@fischercustomknives.com
Tom Watson- tomwatsonknives@aol.com
Josh Dabney- Dabneyknives@yahoo.com

Information- Please feel free to contact us via e-mail concerning this event or contact
Tom Watson at (850) 785-9209

Here is an update to our schedule of demonstrations for the hammer-in

A minor change in the schedule - Tom won't be doing a flipper demo - but he's still going to join us and help out. Reese Wieland has agreed to do one on assisted opening folders. I'm kind of anxious to see that one myself.

There's going to be a wealth of information available to knifemakers, both seasoned and aspiring - do yourself a favor and take advantage of a rare opportunity to learn from some legendary makers, have some fun and make some new friends! Or if you just want to see what is't like to pound on some hot steel - here's your chance!

Also. We have agreed to cancel the deadline for registration. All we ask is a few days notice so that we'll have an appropriate amount of food available at the event.

I don't know about anyone else but I for one got a piece of forging sized 1084 fg to take along and forge out a blade with ! Oh yeah I'm EXCITED about that and everyone is welcomed to watch me make a fool out of myself as this will be my very first forging experience. :)

This is gonna be a great time ! -Josh

Just want to bump this back to the top one last time before the big day and as a reminder to those who've signed up already.

Thanks out to all the Dogs who are planning to attend.

There are quite a few of us so it'll be a great Meet and Greet !

-Josh

Josh-
I posted over on CK&G and sent Todd an e-mail. I'd love to attend if you guys still have a few slots open - sounds like a great time!
-Dave

Dave,

Shouldn't be a problem at all. My count says we're still quite a few less than the 50 people we called our max number.

Welcome to the Dog pound and we'll be seeing ya real soon :)

-Josh

FYI - I just got an e-mail from Todd. I guess they're pushing the hammer-in to the following Saturday because of weather.

Hey Cary,

Thanks a lot for posting the great slideshow.2thumbs

You saved me from the ribbing I'd get for only having a few pictures to post, shot around forging a billet of damascus with Todd's help. :D

Mike

Great pics!!!! Finally someone got around to posting pics cause, useless1 :D

I am just sorry I was unable to attend, it looks like their was alot of talent there!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet slide show, Cary! Thanks for documenting it. I had a blast, although we made a little too much noise Sunday...

Back