Having a knife made - How much?

B

Brutus

I've been wanting to have a knife made for a while, but I'm not sure how much it would cost. I don't have all that much money to spend. The cheapest route, if I had the tools (which I don't), would probably be to make one myself, but that's not really an option. For a knife like this:

customknife.jpg

440C, 1095, O1, the steel isn't all that important as long as it's quality, and I'd want something from pretty thin stock - 1/8" at the most, 3/32" or 1/16" would be preferred, and a full flat grind as well.

The handles could be wood, bone, or micarta. I'd want some stainless liners as well

I have no idea how much it costs to produce a good quality liner/frame lock, so I'd probably just defer to no lock at all. It's a friction folder, it doesn't really need one.

I don't really know what other options there are to discuss, but those are the basic things I've thought about and definitely want.

Obviously prices differ depending on who makes it, so maybe the more important question is: Who should I get to make this? I've never gotten a custom knife before, let alone one of my own design. Do I just start emailing makers who're making knives that are somewhat similar to this one?

Any help is appreciated.

You have a pattern.

If you are only going to make the one knife, then do you have: a hack saw, a drill, files, a bench vice, and access to wet/dry sandpaper in a variety of grits? If so, then you have the tools to make that knife.

It might take a little while, but working stock that is 1/8 inch or less is not that difficult with hand tools. Here's an old photo of the first 3 knives I made, using hand tools and 1/8 inch ATS-34 bar stock.

knivespostHT.jpg

Brutus , like striker said ,all that is required are simple tools and a little patience.

Striker I like those blanks they look great

Those blades look great. I like the nessmuk.

I had thought about making it myself, and if I went that route I'd get at least the blade cut with a water jet. It's relatively cheap to do, and it'd look a lot better than anything I could do (I'm not what you'd call the most dexterous man in the world). I was just wondering how much more it would cost to have it made for me, to a higher degree of quality.

The one thing I've been thinking about is blade play, smoothness of opening, etc. Seems like the kind of stuff it's best to have experience at, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

I'd still have to get the blade ground by someone else, but there's always Tom Krein for that.

Back