simple light box WIP

SHOKR

hey guys

its amazing how simple things get once you actually start working on them!
ive been wanting to take good photos of my knives for selling and today i checked out couple of tutorials and here i am

main tools
20130112_164420.jpg

cardboard box
ruler or square
marker
cutter (razor knife)

20130112_164843.jpg

mark where i will cut for the screens on 3 sides (top and sides)
leave about 3cm (aprox 1 1/4") from the corners so the box would still have good support

now i used a box that was folded over on the sides instead of top and bottom so you can skip the coming step
20130112_170634.jpg

i glued some parts up and used those clamps to hold them till glue is dry (while i keep working)

20130112_172510.jpg

three sides cut and everything clamped (but as i mentioned if you use regular box you can skip that step

20130112_184943.jpg

covered sides with kalk paper (i think thats a french name), thats what they had at the stationery

20130112_184954.jpg

installed paper that will be the base for the box
20130112_185016.jpg

box done! tested with two kinds of bulbs
20130112_185430.jpg

20130112_185834.jpg

few notes
you can experiment with different kinds of lighting (power and color), top and or sides.

the material for top and sides can be anything thats basicly white and kind of transparent. enough to pass and difuse light, light white fabric, tissue paper, etc.

you can add transparent colored paper like cellophane for effects

also you may need different boxes for different sized things

the material for the background and base should be white, nonreflective and with no wrinkles, dents, dirty spots, etc.

emmm i think thats it :)

using my tab (it does strange things to photos) i took these two photos
camera coming soon, God willing

20130112_185507.jpg

taken under incandescent 40 watt bulb

20130112_185845.jpg

taken under26W 'daylight'. its onecof those energy saving bulbs that i dont like nor trust

i cant judge without a real camera, but i think i need more lighting, probably from the sides

now this might not be as good as buying a professional one, but it can do the trick if youre broke :D

Very nice. I tried doing something similar but used pvc pipe and some kind of thin white canvas material cloth. At first I tried taking photos with a 500 watt light, but it looked too orange, kind of like your first picture of the knife. Then I tried with a simple 26w daylight like you did with your second photo and I think it looks better. I think fluorescent bulb is the way to go. I'm not sure if you want to add light to the sides or not, it might come out too bright if you do. But it's worth experimenting, I'm no expert on this stuff. Nice job on the light box by the way.

Looks like you are on the right track Ahmad. If it has to do with knife making you are somewhere in the mix. Keep it up, this stuff is inspiring.

thanks a lot guys

Eric, i try :D

dallas, glad you found that helpful

backtines, i am not so happy about quality yet, will try today with an old credit card size camera, not the best but definitely better than a tablet

I'm not sure if you want to add light to the sides or not, it might come out too bright if you do. But it's worth experimenting, I'm no expert on this stuff.
i'm not either, so yeah experimenting could come in handy
actually i think light can be added from one side OR remove top and use 2 sides. again depends largely on lighting and such
i believe there are lamps specifically for that but going on the cheapo you try to make due :)

Shokr, I use a box built and modeled after the one if the following link. Sharp By Coop made a good tutorial with tips on lights and such but sadly its on another board. As much as I don't like linking traffic away from KD, here is the link http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/328550-No-Frills-75-00-home-studio-tent-lightbox . The only tweek that implemented is using velcro tape so that the box can be stored easily when not in use.

www. bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/328550-No-Frills-75-00-home-studio-tent-lightbox

Last edited:
thanks a lot Mike
will check it out

i cheaped out on the buolt honestly, it seemed too simple to me that i thoight it was going to be a bust. but its actually pretty nice, and sooner or later will make new one with improvements :)

thanks again!

Im sorry but if it was me showing the knife ide want better pictures. Im just being honest the blade is focused good but the handle is so dark like in a shadow you cant even see it. Im just learning and I cant help you make it better but lighting might be a start. I made a light box4 years ago and threw it out to buy one for 60 bucks off ebay come with lights and a camera tripod and the box .I am constantly appoligizing for my crappy pictures so now I should have no excuses . I am buying the right stuff ,I do know lighting is the most important part to photography. Pvc pipe is really cheap andthe velco is on my bought one to colapse into a small briefcase. I hope I am not offending you, just trying to help. kellyw

these were taken in the light box by a credit card sized 5mp camera

much better than when i started, i just needed bit more of light (didnt add light, just added piece of paper to reflect more light into the box) and bit of adjustment of camera settings, will better box, lighting and camera things will be a lot better

DSC05515-1.jpg

note: the blade of the KDM near the edge is dark, thats not a lighting issue

IMG_20130129_141600.jpg

I think I see what you're seeing . I think they look good but if more light was added , you're right , they'd pop more . Im still stuck on getting rid of the yellowish tint in the background Im getting on my pics , as well as more light.

I think I see what you're seeing . I think they look good but if more light was added , you're right , they'd pop more . Im still stuck on getting rid of the yellowish tint in the background Im getting on my pics , as well as more light.

Mikey, what type of bulbs are you using?

Mikey, I noticed turning the lights off in the room helped take away the yellowish tint. I am not sure what your room lights look like, but mine give off a hint of yellow and it was showing up in my pictures taken in a light box. Might be something to try if you haven't already.

Mikey, what type of bulbs are you using?

Mike and Steve, I'm really green at this light box picture stuff so bare with me . I bought 3 curly 60 wt florescent bulbs. Pointing on top and both sides of box that i made. Camera is a Sony cyber shot . I did take the pics with lights off in room. I also tried moving lights in front of box too. Still getting that tint. Maybe it's the wrong light bulbs? I just ordered a light box with two suggested lights that come with this kit for , I think 39 bucks. I guess I'll give that a shot. If you go to my last two threads ( 8" skinner and carbon g10 and curly maple ) you can take a look at the last two pics in each thread and you can see my problem.

Thanks guys

Mikey, you will need to change the settings on your camera, like the effects, those greatly affext the outcome photo

Like if you set it to 'sunlight' ”incandescent” ”shade” or ehatever theyre called on your camera, there other things to consider too but these affected my photos (in regards to the camera) the most

Couple of detailed video tutorials online can teach you a lot, specially if you find one specific or close to your model

Mikey, you will need to change the settings on your camera, like the effects, those greatly affext the outcome photo

Like if you set it to 'sunlight' ”incandescent” ”shade” or ehatever theyre called on your camera, there other things to consider too but these affected my photos (in regards to the camera) the most

Couple of detailed video tutorials online can teach you a lot, specially if you find one specific or close to your model

Ok , Im gonna have to learn about those settings , thats another world for me .. But I will start messin with it when I have some time. Thanks .

Back