Scale control in a kiln

Brad Lilly

Moderator and Awards Boss
I just got a kiln and would like to reduce the pitting/scale that develops on my blades. My idea is to use some Anti splatter from NAPA. Will this work or will I make the evening news when I blow up the shop or poison myself :). I should add I'm heat treating simple carbon steel 10XX stuff, not stainless (At least for now)

I've spoke with a lot of people who use the pbc powder and loved it - but for the sake of discussion, I'd like to offer a dissenting opinion. It's kind of a pain preheating the blade to apply it, but what really bugs me is that it has a tendency to drip in the kiln and leave staining puddles on the kiln floor.

My personal favorite is Turco, but availability comes and goes. Would sure be happy if Boss would consider offering a reliable source for it.

I have not tried Turco. Personally I fought trying any of these. Yet after trying the PBC anti scale. I dont know why I waited so long. The stuff works and works well!

So if there are better mixes out there that work and are readily available. Im all ears.

For the sake of discussion, The pre heat and any minor drips are what I would consider a small price for a clean scale free blade out of quench.

I have had very good results with PBC on everything below 1600* ,however I lost some blades trying to use it 1950 even though the pbc I have is rated at 2200*, PBC special. The special needs 750* to stick but when I used it on some 3v I lost all 6 blades:( the PBC melted and ran down the bevels and pooled at the spines which was nice and clean by the way. I had everything on tool wrap so it did not mess up the floor of the kiln.

Turco always left pits in my blades 1084, tried thinning but no luck. Always dipped the blades, some said to spray it on, never tried it.

I tried argon purge but didn't put enough in, I'll try again with more flow.

Last edited:
I have used ATP on 01 for the last three years. Works great. It is water based, painted on, and flakes off easily when the blade cools. I tried PBC, but did not like the application requirements, and found the ATP as good and I think even better. It also works OK on A2, but needs a heavier coat.

The PBC has worked well on O-1 and 10xx and applying it isn't so bad.
I use an old parmesian cheese container, like salting your fries. There is a warning about using it on some alloys with high chromium (?) or vanadium (?) content. I'm not sure anymore which one it was. But I did find out the hard way on someone elses blades (couldn't be mine of course, sorry Bill) that it doesn't play well with A-2. 1775* with 15 minute soak. I wouldn't call this pitting....that's scumbosis deep into the steel. Almost looks like it boiled the surface of the steel. Hmmm, who knew.

2011_0801forgefinish0006.jpg

Rudy

I have to ask what is ATP?

And this is an interesting idea. I have heard and thought about using this but never got around to it. I am getting tired of scale though......Something I will have to try.

My personal favorite is Turco, but availability comes and goes. Would sure be happy if Boss would consider offering a reliable source for it.

is this a cleaner? we had stuff in the navy called turco or aircraft surface cleaner. would take off the dirt but also the paint, melt most plastics, burn your skin, and gave me a headache.
the old sailor

When I used an electric furnace, I either put some pieces of wood directly in the chamber, or set up a muffle inside the chamber and put a piece of wood in the back of the muffle just prior to inserting the blade. It helped control scale very well and there was no damage to the furnace, just a little charcoal and ash.

Last edited:
Back