heat treating equip

farmrbrnboy

I recently got my digital pyrometer to show me temps in my forge. I can choke down the flow to get fairly consistant readings ie 1525 deg for 5160 and 1475 deg for 1095, +/- 10-20 degrees. Will this suffice for heat treating high carbon blades or should I buy an electrial oven such as a paragon or evenheat? What would you recommend as far as ovens? I am in it strictly as a hobby, maybe sell a couple knives.

You should be fine for a hypoeutectic steel like 5160 heat treating with a gas forge. With a little experience at keeping steel at a constant brightness even the 1095 shouldn't be too much of a problem. There are plenty of people who do heat treat it in a gas or solid fuel forge successfully. For something like O1 or 52100 where you also have higher temperature carbides than cementite I would recommend something with better control. I've heat treated 52100 successfully with a gas forge, at least as far as I'm able to tell with the testing that I am capable of, but there is too much of a luck factor with that complex of a steel for consistent results, so I'm stopping using it. Others may disagree.

Doug

If you can consistently keep your temp. range to 20 degrees or less you should be fine. I would adjust my heat to err on the low side. For example on 1095 and a 20 degree swing I would adjust it to 1460-1480. If you can keep it in that range for a 6-8 minute soak you should be fine.

I recently got my digital pyrometer to show me temps in my forge. I can choke down the flow to get fairly consistant readings ie 1525 deg for 5160 and 1475 deg for 1095, +/- 10-20 degrees. Will this suffice for heat treating high carbon blades or should I buy an electrial oven such as a paragon or evenheat? What would you recommend as far as ovens? I am in it strictly as a hobby, maybe sell a couple knives.

If you can dial it in to consistently hold a temperature that you can live with the forge has the distinct advantage of a dynamic rather than a static atmosphere, i.e., you can control oxygen levels to limit decarb and scaling much more than with an oven or kiln that does not have really pricey inert gas options.

Back