Problems always problem when your running out of time.

ArtinNC

Yeah I see not many of you use Stainless Steel . But I do stock removal SS for about the last 25 years. And just run into a new problem that I'v never had before and thought I'd post it.

Hey, I got a problem. When I HeatTreat I put a piece of brown paper in the SS envelope to burn up the oxygen up. Well I couldn't find my brown paper that I always use so I used a piece of writing paper . And after HT it left a mark on the blade like the shape of the paper so no problem because this blade is to be bead blasted RIGHT ?? So I bead blasted it and you can still see the out line of the paper . So I'll just grind it off and re-bead blast it and guess what ? I'v ground the blade three times mark is gone after each grind and after I bead blast it is still there after bead blast. And this knife is a rush job.

Yeah I see not many of you use Stainless Steel . But I do stock removal SS for about the last 25 years. And just run into a new problem that I'v never had before and thought I'd post it.

Hey, I got a problem. When I HeatTreat I put a piece of brown paper in the SS envelope to burn up the oxygen up. Well I couldn't find my brown paper that I always use so I used a piece of writing paper . And after HT it left a mark on the blade like the shape of the paper so no problem because this blade is to be bead blasted RIGHT ?? So I bead blasted it and you can still see the out line of the paper . So I'll just grind it off and re-bead blast it and guess what ? I'v ground the blade three times mark is gone after each grind and after I bead blast it is still there after bead blast. And this knife is a rush job.

Very interesting. I always put a piece of paper towel in the foil envelope when I'm treating A2, but I've never had a problem grinding any marks off, post temper.

That being said, I do tend to put the piece of paper towel on the handle side of the envelope just in case. I figure that worst case scenario, the handle will cover any residual mark, though it has never failed to clean up.

That is strange it keeps coming back. No idea on that. Any mark should be surface stain only.
i know my first time I put paper in the foil on the blade and it left a mark. I always put it on the handle now.

I'll post apicture tomorrowit cleaned right up with w 360 grit belt and then I bead blast it anain and it still showed but not as much. I'v just never had this happen before.

I think it is caused by high carbon in the paper.
100_3522.jpg

I think it's called Sod's Law, Art. :D

If it hadn't have been a rush job it would have been fine!

It's a shame as it's a fine knife otherwise.

Too bad the paper messed up your finish, looks like a nice knife.

Murphy's law bad things always happen when you can least afford it

maybe us a different finish. looks like its just cosmetic. doesn't solve you rush order.That sounds like a late night in the shop.

Steve

Back