Old/new Bowie

Church & Son

Real buzy at realjob this time of year but I try to keep a couple of remodels going to have something to do at night..
I got this Bowie blade in a trade…Broken handle, the tip was broken and the blade was chipped pretty bad..I hot filed, sanded and re-heat treated it. In other words, spent twice as much time trying to save it as making a new one!!
Blade is 9″ sharp and 13″ overall…

coybow2.jpg

coybow1.jpg

Handle is Coyote jawbone via some local chicken farmers who are intent on exterminating them in ‘Carolina…
Sheath is horse hide and some of my egg tanned deerhide…Finish is homebrew Walnut/Vinageroon dye with dirt, grease and shellac…

coybow4.jpg

coybow5.jpg

coybow7.jpg

Doin' my best for those yardbird farmers......Randy

coybow6.jpg

Last edited:
looks good. stupid real job. don't like the idea of whacking out all the coyotes. But the knife and sheath you made are very cool. May as well say you made the blade, if you had to re-profile, re-bevel, and re-heat treat. You just began with a piece of bar stock that had a little more taper than most.

cool stuff.
kc

looks good. stupid real job. don't like the idea of whacking out all the coyotes. But the knife and sheath you made are very cool. May as well say you made the blade, if you had to re-profile, re-bevel, and re-heat treat. You just began with a piece of bar stock that had a little more taper than most.

cool stuff.
kc

Kevin,
We are on KD after all and no one loves Canines more than I do.

At the same time Coyotes are the most prolific mammal I can think of? Chicken farmers can lose a fortune in livestock to these predators and I can see their side of this as well.

People have been trying to eradicate Coyotes since the dawn of time and the always persistent?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks Guys and Laurence you are right about prolific...The fox hunters brought Coyotes here in the '80's for alternate sport hunting and they have blossomed!! Neighborhood cats and chickens seem to be favorite meals....
A quote from a local paper...
“Out West they proved it,” he said. “They tried to wipe out coyotes at some places. But coyotes, which normally have a litter of four to five pups, will produce 12 to 14 pups if their numbers are greatly reduced.

“So by killing a lot of coyotes, you’re actually making them produce more. It’s kinda the way white-tailed does will have more fawns if there aren’t many deer in an area.”

Randy,
Really nice work with the jaw bones. Your sheath just falls right into place with the jaw. :s11798: Wade

Back