piled construction hunter from smelted steel - what could be more, "neo" than a smelt

kevin - the professor

Hello Everyone,
Here is a blade made from a combination of steel that Ricky and I smelted with some w2. There is a really active pattern/hada, with a little bit of a hamon. It is a really nice looking piece of steel. The character from the smelt is cool. In person, there are layers within the layers, if you understand what I mean. it is a result of processing the bloom before welding to a paddle of w2 and folding several times.

I had more trouble cleaning this steel that I think others do when processing a bloom. There was not any point that the bloom would weld to itself without me grinding every surface as clean as possible. Every time after the first squish required cutting/chiseling into thin slabs and grinding them clean. The chiseling because the slag and all would sort of accumulate between layers of steel, so I would chisel apart all the cold shuts, grind them clean, and re-weld. This was a very labor-intensive process.

Thanks for looking. Information, advice, comments, are all welcomed.

Take care,

Kevin

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_1257.JPG

Great job on the smelt and knife! I want to try smelting some day.

I'm not sure mr capquangfpt will last the day.

Back