Leaf springs eternal.

messerist

Alas, my stash of leaf springs is no more. I have been using several springs that my brother acquired for me off a retired U.S.Army 5-ton truck. These beast were 3/8" thick and 5" wide! Made for some healthy hammerin' I do say. I've posted these photos elsewhere on the web so if you've seen them please forgive my redundancy.
This cleaver/chopper is 14" overall with a 9" blade. I used quilted maple for the handle and brass pins. It is stained with aqua fortis and finished with linseed oil
Jennifer's Nikon 616.jpg

This little chopper was the final chunk. 8" over all with a 4" blade and a 5" handle wrapped in hemp and shellac. I think I forged 25 knives from that spring! Now it is time to try out some new steel...or different. I can't help scrounging. Thanks for looking Guys.
finger up nose 023.JPG

Very nice Troy...I have a '40s era Diamond Rio truck spring set...Everytime I look at it my arm hurts but it is some outstanding iron.......

man, I love that big chopper. The blade is great, and the handle is just fantastic. I love maple and a.f. I use tung oil. I also have some curly oak that responds pretty well to it. Walnut can, too. it is a great stain once you learn how to not scorch. great work.

James I stole your wrapping idea although I have yet to master a turk's head knot like you do. I'm going to need to find some big springs to make some more bigguns Rusty. Kevin, I have been using a heat gun of late on aqua fortis stain and it works pretty well and you really have to try and scorch it.

Fair enough; I got the idea from other knifemakers, particularly Tai and Rick Marchand. Did I ever send you a link to the Turk's head tying animation that Tai sent me to show me how to do them?

Back