stainless steel foil and kiln furniture

scott.livesey

Dealer - Purveyor
hi folks. some quick questions:
1) how will it effect my O1 blades if I do not wrap them in foil? I will be using an electric lab furnace for heat treat.
2) would perforated 1/8" stainless with stainless machine screws be ok to use in my furnace to keep the blades upright?
thanks in advance for the help.
scott

Well, for starters, I wouldn't think foil would be a good choice for any Oil Quench steel. It probably takes too long to get out of the envelope. It can't be oil quenched in the envelope. If the envelope is snipped open and blade dropped into the oil, there is no opportunity to agitate and a still hot blade may warp when it hits the bottom. Many people don't use anything to protect O1 - one my customers prefers it that way and he says he can't tell any difference.

My personal preference is Turco and if I could get the stuff to stick better, I like the results with ATP641 as well,

I haven't tried that solution for a blade rack, but I have to say the blade racks from evenheat are one of the most outstanding low cost purchases I have ever made. They just work awesome. Whatever you use, consider stability. It's not fun dropping 1500 degree things on the floor on the way to your quench tank. :)

I have to agree with the Turco for oil quench steels, it is easy to use. I think K&G supplies still sells it in quart cans. I bought a gallon of it years ago when it was still cheap and I am still using it today. Turco does lightly etch the surface of the steel, but it cleans up easy after heat treat. For a furnace rack I just take a drill bit to make slots in a soft firebrick. use a drill press like a router table to mill long slots in the fire brick for whatever depth and width you want to hold your knives!
Take care,
Clint

Back