Where can I get ostrich toes?

One

Banned
I’ve seen some really cool knives from South America (esp., Argentina) with ostrich toe, “Ñandú“, handles. I’ve been looking a long time and haven’t been able to find any.

There’s an ostrich farm just up the road, but the owner wouldn’t sell me any toes or bones,… just egg shells and feathers.

OstrichToeOnly.jpg

What does an Ostrich Toe knife look like?

(I can't believe I just typed that sentence.)

Well that's interesting...

And if ever-there-was a case for dinosaurs evolving into birds, there it is. lol

It looks like a "dragon's" claw!

I want some, bad!… they can't cost that much, can they?

Try Emu, aren't their toes about the same? seems to be More Emu farms around. OR, try to find some sellers of Ostrich parts on the net? Good luck anyway.

Tai, A colleague at work used to raise ostriches and I asked him if he knew of anyone(upper Midwest) who currently raises ostriches for meat. He knows a few and said he will do some checking. I have nothing to offer now but maybe in a few days I will know more. He also recommended searching online for producers who sell ostrich meat and feathers.

Yes James, that's the one.

I've done a lot of searching on the net and haven't found any toes. Emu or Rhea toes should also be fine.

Any good solid leads would be appreciated.

Chicks are a good deal, have a spot for them too,... but don't really want to get into farming just for a few odd toes.

I want them, but there's a limit to how far I'll go.

Last edited:
You might try these guys Tai...Ostrich Growers Meat Company
120 Shell Drive, Watsonville, CA 95076
831-722-4671
Their website says they sell Ostrich Leather maybe they could part with some toes as well.

O.K. Thanks.

... Maybe if I tell them I manage an oriental restaurant and use them for stir fry...

I'd ask the ostrich farmers and meat sellers, who their abattoir is.
They may be guarded about that, animal rights wackos have probably got them skittish.

But it's the kill plant that you want.
I'd bet that they are just tossing them away.

Back