gang saw blades?

SHOKR

hey all

a while back i got steel from a local knife maker, he said it was the blades that are used to cut large slabs of marble, few local knife makers use it for knives mostly kitchen and butcher i think, and its really cheap, i got it for about 2usd a kilo, i searched online a bit and its called 'gang saw blade'.

i got it originally for forging, but since thats not an option now thougt i'd give it a stock removal shot, only problem is the grooves (but i can always cord wrap) its about 4mm at its regular parts

anybody has annyy idea how to HT that?

20120913_174343.jpg 20120913_174415.jpg
thats an example of a knife a started using it

thanks

Last edited:
I cant say for sure what the steel your playing with is? It looks like it may be a carbon steel based on the rust. I expect heat treat would be a simple one to test.

You will have to be sure your getting the desired hardness. Cut a few pieces from one of the larger bars. and run some tests.

Simple, heat to non magnetic and hold for a few minutes. Then quench in warm oil, etc. Then test for hardness. break and check grain structure, spark test. etc.

Then if your sure the test piece hardened temper it. temper 2X I would start my temper at 375f. Then test RC, snap the piece and look at grain, add a bevel and do some tests cuts etc. and adjust the temper temperature from there.

I dont use alot of mystery steel. But have tried a few large band saw blades that were given to me. With a little testing. I was able to get a respectable RC out of quench and tested tempering temperatures to get it down into the high 50s Made a great blade. and a very serviceable filet blade.

Have fun and let us know what you figure out.

thanks a lot Randy

i actually called the guy who sold them to me. he was like 'quench in water... or oil, cooking oil or motor oil!' tells a lot about the craft here... when pressed i suggested water, but insteaf of tempering he said to quenche and remoce before its completely cool, that seems to be their way of compensating for tempering
i guess maybe i'll start from there...

Back