Burning Canadians on Parks 50

Knifemaker.ca

Dealer - Purveyor
I have an opportunity to bring some Parks 50 into Canada. It is not going to be cheap - maybe $170 - $180 per 5 gallon pail. Curious if there is any interest, or if I should just order my own and let it be.

Rob!

I would be interested but I bet the shipping from Alberta to Nova Scotia will cost the same as the oil.

I'm betting you are right. For a single pail, it is going to cost me about 1 1/2 times the product price in shipping alone. I can save a bit by bringing up a skid. Actually, not so bad - UPS std about $53 from here to to some random place in halifax. :)

I would be looking at around 223-233 for 5 gal? I don't have much choice, count me in (the wife is going to kill me)

I'm sure you all have heard about the alternatives, but in case you haven't, just thought I'd throw them out. Not sure if they'll ship north of the border or not, but they are a better to work with that Heat Bath from what I've heard and experienced. Houghton and Maxim oil both have good alternatives to Parks 50 and AAA. Might want to see if they're Canadian friendly before dropping a bunch of Canadian coins with the Heat Bath folks eh? ;)

Thanks Don. I did walk that path. :) I've been using Haughton Quench K for a couple years - and it was OK for 1095 up to about 5/32 thick but started getting 'iffy' at 3/16. It has now deteriorated to less than predictable results even on those. Heat Bath won't even talk to me about a 50 gallon drum. "We only sell to industrial customers". The folks at Maxim have been great, but shipping to Canada is FAR more expensive than the product. Best shipping option was $133 just for the shipping on one pail - and there is brokerage fees on top of that and UPS really rapes us on cross border brokerage.

As a matter of fact, it's Maxim I'm getting the Parks 50 pails from. I'm ordering a whole skid of pails and that works out to quite a savings on both the shipping and the brokerage fees (cleared through our preferred broker). I really want to try the DT48 some time, and it's about $20 a pail cheaper, but for this order, I didn't want to wonder if....

After using Parks 50 for a while, I'll be in a better position to compare products and then I'll bring in some DT48. I can't say enough good about the service from Maxim.

Now if someone was comin' this way from Texas - maybe for some of our Western Canadian monster Whitetail - and had some room in the back of the pickup..... :)

cant say anything about prices and all that but i have been using the dt-48 for over a year now on 1095
and all is well still getting same results as when i started, it is what i will be staying with.
Good luck and hope it turns out well for you.

Thanks Franklin.

I saw a lot about dogs who were trying it, but not much about continuing results. Atually, the silence was deafening. :) Good to hear you have had continuing success with it. I'd love to support a company that is bending over backwards for us.

How thick have you mananged to quench 1095, and what sort of rockwell readings are you getting as quenched?

Rob!

Heatbath hasn't gotten back to me on my quote for a 55g drum either. Called it in, they requested my email and nothing is forthcoming. It's been a month or better and I'll be ringing them again soon.

Heatbath hasn't gotten back to me on my quote for a 55g drum either. Called it in, they requested my email and nothing is forthcoming. It's been a month or better and I'll be ringing them again soon.

Frank, give Maxim oil in Texas a call instead. I can almost guarantee that you will have to call Heat Bath and will not like what they tell you when you do. Park Met/Heat Bath corp. will not do business directly with customers who are not already on their established list of industrial heavy hitters, but Maxim is a distributer of some of their products that will work with you.

Excellent, Kevin. I should have checked this thread again a little sooner- belated thanks for the information. They were polite enough, just haven't followed through. Service aside, I can understand where they're coming from...a single 55 gallon drum isn't going to make the overhead if they're usually shipping multiple skids of 4 of them at a time. I will be calling Maxim after my next large batch is finished and I get ready for another order.

Back