Overbuilt Warighter: Primal/tactical contemporary Bowie

Stormcrow

This one is a bit of a shift in direction from what I've been doing and is a direction I will be pursuing more. This is my first knife using flared stainless tube rivets on the handle.

This is a solid chunk of steel, heavier than I typically make. I wanted to build something that would be able to take on just about anything that could be expected of it in the hands of a military member in a high-stress situation.

overbuilt2.jpg

The steel was 1/4" x 2" wide 5160, given my typical triple normalization, triple hardening, triple tempering heat treatment. The spine stays approximately 1/4" thick, tapering distally to the tip.

overbuilt3.jpg

The handle is black canvas Micarta with epoxy and stainless steel flared tube rivets. There are hidden lightening holes underneath the Micarta. Flared tube rivets are old hat to a lot of knifemakers, but it's the first time I've done it and I'm quite happy with it. Very solid and would break your hand before it comes off.

The edge shaves hair nicely, and with the weight it has would bite deeply. I haven't measured it yet, but it weighs a bit over 14 ounces.

The sheath is black Kydex with two MOLLE locks.

overbuilt1.jpg

This and a couple of other items will be going to someone who will be taking better pictures of them, and then eventually more folks can see them. :D

Got the measurements on this puppy: 7 1/2" blade including the choil, 12" overall, 1/4" spine at the blade/tang transition.

dude thats a sweet knife i think you nailed it, great job, the sheath came together really nice all so.

Back