Belligerence

Stormcrow

A new member of the Aggression family; this one was a commission from a fellow who like the looks of the original Aggression but wanted a longer blade (a foot-long blade is not enough!) and something a little less retina-searing for the handle wrap than neon orange. :D

For comparison, the original and the other brothers, all with blades approximately 12" long:

brothersofaggression2.jpg

I forged the new one out of 5160 and pulled the blade out to 15", with an overall length of 21". The soapstone lines give a general idea of the final look.

dawkind01.jpg

After an overnight vinegar soak to eat the scale off and stock removing primarily by hand filing, I had this:

dawkind02.jpg

Heat treatment was my standard triple normalization, triple hardening, triple tempering process I use with 5160. After cleanup, it looked much the same as before.

dawkind03.jpg

And then came the handle wrap and sharpening. Two layers of paracord, with olive drab for the underlay and black for the overlay, and a three-strand Turk's head knot all impregnated with Minwax Wood Hardener. Kydex sheath with two MOLLE locks slightly offset to slant the handle a bit more forward while worn.

dawkind06.jpg

dawkind07.jpg

The olive drab doesn't show up nearly as much as the neon colors. Subtle. :)

dawkind08.jpg

The top clip is fully sharpened and I have a bare patch on my otherwise hirsute forearm from both sides of the blade.

Thank y'all!

Randy - Belligerence would make a pretty girl's name. She'd be a varmint, though. :) I want to name my first-born daughter (who is several years off) Persistence Tenacity Helm. We could call her "Pert" or "'Squite Tree" for nicknames, but when she's misbehaved, it'd be, "PERSISTENCE TENACITY HELM, YOU GET IN HERE RIGHT THIS INSTANT!!!" The loverly bride-to-be will have no part of it, though. :D

Veering entirely off topic, I think Seamus Right Gladly would be perfect name for a dog.

Excellent blades! Did you start out with a stock piece of steel or forge from a scavaged piece of steel? Did you hot cut any of the handle or pretty much forged to shape?

The others are 1084, and Belligerence is 5160, all from new steel. The butt of the handle had a bit of grinding, but the rest of it was forged to shape.

Very Nice, Although, as I get older and my memory is getting as bad as my eyes, the neon orange is starting to get better looking, I mean easier to find...
Any thought of continuing the make it longer trend? If 15" is better than 12" wouldn't 18" be even better.

Back