bareing race

James-G

I have a whole bunch,of bareing race, What I understand they forge like 52100, but I read on another forum that it could be a 8000 serious steel. Could someone tell what kinda it could be please. Thank you

James, I know that this is not the answer that you want but the only way to find out for sure is to have each one analysed. You could group them by size and manufacturer and only have one in the group analysed and hope that the others are the same. You might also try to contact the manufacturer and ask them but they might not be willing or able to tell you. If they forge relatively easily then I would lean more towards something like 52100 as I think that a nickel, chromium, molybdenum alloy would be slow to move under the hammer but that test is very subjective. This is what makes mystery metal some of the more expensive steel that you can use. You either have to invest money to have it tested so that it is no longer mystery metal or you have to play around with the heat treatment until you get it right. It's hard to pass up free steel but sometimes it's the best thing to do. If you have something like a Fastenal store near you they might be able to do a quick analysis though I don't know what they're charges for the service is like.

Doug

Back