Oven size?

run2trouble

I am looking at different knife making ht ovens and had a few questions.

Is there any disadvantage for having an oven that is to long? I am sure that it will take a bit longer to get up to temp, but anything else?

Thanks.

Another thing is that the longer ovens are usually 220 volts and you will have to make sure you have an available circuit for it. The advantage is that the length will be there if you need it.

Doug

Look at the size of the blades you produce.....then make your decision based on the largest you ever expect to make. Not to step on Doug's toes, but I've owned both 110v and 220v ovens....and would only consider purchasing/using a 220v model (that is IF you have 220v in your shop, or can install it)

Personally, I have two heat treat ovens, both are 18" long interiors......it's was just how things worked out that allowed me to have two, but I have discovered a great advantage in having two......you can austinize in one, and temper in the other, without having to wait the hours that it normally takes an oven to cool down to tempering temp range.

Finally, I've owned and used several different brands, and if at all possible, spend the money and get a Paragon. I used to think there were little or no differences between brands, but have come to realize that the Paragon ovens are simply overall better ovens then the other brands.

Ed, that's actually good to know because the only large ovens that I have run across advertised were 220 volts which I don't have out in the garage. Can you give me any leads as to who sells these larger 110 volt ovens? I may put one on my wish list.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Check with the folks at paragon. I actually purchased my last oven through Tracy, but on his site the oven I wanted was shown in a 110V version, and I wanted 220V...... if I remember correctly, there is a limit to the size that Paragon will make in a 110v, but I'm not sure exactly where that line is.....the folks at Paragon are also quick to respond to emails....but talking to them on the phone will get lots of answers, quickly.

Ed,

It is a great idea to have two ovens, it did not even occur to me. I have plenty of 220v power so this won't be an issue.

Thanks.

Evenheat makes an 18" deep 110v model. I have been very happy with mine. Yes, it is slower at high temps, but it gives good results with all the accuracy of the 220 models. I have 2 x 220v and one 110v and use all nearly every day.

Back