Propane tank quench tank

Cojab

I am considering making a quench tank out of a standard gas grill sized propane tank since I have a couple of out of date ones sitting around. Does anybody have any ideas, experience or concerns (other than the obvious making sure its empty before cutting) with this.
Also, for quenching 1084 am I going to need to have some kind of provosion to heat my oil up or can this be done with the oil at ambient temp.

Yes, you need to be able to heat the oil. It sounds counter intuitive but warm oil will cool faster than ambient temperature oil, with the exception of quenchants like Parks #50. It has to do with viscosity and wetting ability. Unless you are wanting to get fancy and try something like marquenching, heating the oil to 120-130° will do.

I would screw the brass valve off the tank and then flush it out with water before cutting into it to make absolutely sure that there is no residual propane in it.

Doug

Thanks Doug. So if I use Parks it sounds like I wouldnt need to heat it? Is there a limit to how low the ambient temp of Parks or an equivilent oil can be. Just wondering since my shop is not heated and winter is coming up WAY to soon.

I don't actually use it but if you needed to heat it I don't think that people who do heat it slightly go over 90°. Be careful, that stuff has a rather low flash point; way lower than peanut oil. Not something that you want to loose track with while heating. Also, from what I understand, it will be damaged by overheating and lose some of it's ability to absorb heat rapidly.

Just an idea, have you ever thought of using a turkey fryer for a quench tank? They're a little deeper than the 20# propane tank, come with a burner to heat the oil with, and have a lid to put over it if you do have a fire in it.

Thanks again Doug. Actually I found the answer while searching through here some more. It seems like Parks can be used down to about 50 degrees. I have though about the turkey fryer and just missed buying one at a garage sale. I read also that one of those multiple cup coffee makers could work and I think that I have one of those sitting in my shop. I'm going to have to take a look in the morning.

Back