Hamon material/media

bootstrap

hey guys,

I was curious as to what media do you use for the production of hamon lines. I am thinking of trying some of these in the near future with some 1095 or maybe some O1. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Will

Dont use 0-1 and make sure the 1095 is low manganese , like below .30 or so . There are several makers here, that posted tutorials on how to do this . Its not easy your first time , but patience and careful heating and quenching will eventtually produce results . Try an oil quench the first time . Aldo has some great low manganese 1075 that makes killer hamon . I also like satanite for clay . Although, there are lots of clay like materials that work well . Walter Sorrels has a great Video for creating a hamon . I would get it . Just google up walter Sorrels swordsmith . I would post you a tutorial but, I have dial up service and it would take a week , well almost to upload it . good luck.. Bubba-san

Check out the tutorial section. Stephan Fowler did a great tutorial for us a year or so ago. It's a great step by step of the tecnique he uses.

hey guys,

I was curious as to what media do you use for the production of hamon lines. I am thinking of trying some of these in the near future with some 1095 or maybe some O1. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Will

Hi Will, I see you are in Mississippi, I know it is short notice but it may not be that far of a drive for you to the ABS Hammer-in in Troy, OH in about two and half weeks:

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ipboard/index.php?/calendar/2/event-122

Among the many other demos, I will be doing a talk on this subject. Although hamons are not my thing any more I used to do my share of them so they asked me to dig out my old clay and revisit the topic for the Mid-America Hammer-in. If you could make it, I would be happy to work with you on your interest and you could get great information on many other bladesmithing topics from some of the best smiths in the country that the ABS is bringing to the event. Oh yes, as has already been suggested, ditch the O-1 for differential hardening, it was desgined to resist doing that.

Thanks the replies guys. Sorry I got a side tracked with a little stay-cation. I wish I could go to the event. I just spent a mint on materials and some tools I wanted. I am gunna try a hamon soon and will post the results.

Back