Heat treat help for newbie?

Pedro G.

Hi, i'm at the point with my new knife where I have to HT my blade, its a 1084 steel and about 10" long from butt to tip. I have a furnace I made with bricks and charcoal but it doesn't for heat treat because I can't control the temperature and frankly i'm still pretty new to it. I've ruined many blades so far. I was wondering if anyone here could heat treat this blade for me? I would pay shipping and any other cost you may need or want, but I just can't afford to spend 30-40$ to send 1 blade to be HTed and I want to do this knife right this time.

If you would like to help me can you please message me or if you have any alternative solutions to my problem if you could please help that would be great.. I really can't move much foreward until I sell this knife because my budget is not enough for rough HTing equiptment yet. :)

Thank you very much for reading this.

-Pedro G.

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/privacy.php

CAT. NO.
( HTT1-7 ) Heat Treating & Tempering. 1-7 blades under 10” in overall length.$5.50 each
( HTT8 or more) Heat Treating & Tempering on 8 or more blades under 10” overall length.$4.95 each
( HTT>10" ) Heat Treating & Tempering. Max. overall length of 20”. $10.00 each
( HTTVAS) Heat Treating & Tempering of VASCOWEAR, CRUWEAR, BG42, CPM10V, S30V, S90V. $15.00 each (includes CRYO Treatment)
( HTTSP ) Heat Treating & Tempering of Folder Springs and Rockers. $4.00 each
S30V Blades Heat Treating and Tempering $20.00 each
Please fill out our Heat treat and Cryo-form.
{Call for pricing over 20” and other Exotic Steels}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helpful Hints To Our Heat Treat Customers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help ensure that we can offer the best and quickest service possible, we have some hints for you. Because we use atmospheric ovens and must wrap all the blades to protect them from discoloring and scaling, you can do some things to help keep your blades clean. Cleaning the blades with a good dish soap (Ivory, Dawn, etc.) will remove any oils or buffing residue and may help the blades come out cleaner. Also, do not put tape directly on the blade. Wrap several layers of newspaper and tape the outside.

In regards to warpage, it is a good idea, when possible, to leave blades slightly oversized so in the very rare case of non-correctable warpage, material can be removed. Some factors that affect warpage are hollow ground edges, blades that are tapered in length, very thin blades, and blades that are not ground symmetrically. We endeavor to provide fast, professional, and friendly service and we view it as our honor that you choose us for such an important part of your knife making needs.

Oh wow haha ^_^ Thank you very much. Looks like a fantastic deal! :)

On the order sheet, there is no option for 1084 steel?

Last edited:
Back