heat treating question?

graveyard

After cutting out and heat treating this knife in charcole in forced air metal 16inch circular saw unknown..... Can anyone tell me why I'm getting this texture on the knife?

Any suggestions on how this could be fixed?

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 35
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 30
Agreed, too hot. As far as fixing it, a place to start would be to normalize 3 times at successively lower heats, then austentize and quench again. All of the usual caveats regarding mystery steel apply here.

i did anneal these metal then after a stock removale ,, normalized 3 times heath heat treated it with charcoal & forced air then quenched it oil , would it be best ,, to just anneal then normalize 3 time try to re harden with less heath

You need to normalize three times with at least not over heating the steel to correct the damage that you did growing the grain when you overheated it the first time. Cut the air blast back in your forge and bring the steel up to non-magnetic and get it just a little brighter and hold it for about a half minute to make sure the blade is heated all the way through. Allow it to cool to a black heat between heating cycles. As far as heating the blade for hardening, it's impossible to say without knowing what the steel is. You would have to check to see if it will even harden in the first place. If it does harden, proper tempering would have to be arrived at by experimentation.

Doug

That texture isn't going to go away with new heat treatments. The steel inside may come back, but you'll have to grind away the surface.

i can re. normalize then h/t the blade seems hard a file slides on the edge of handel not bitting outside of the strange looking texture ,its a hunting knife if its hard would it hold a edge

Since we don't know what the steel is, every thing is a guess. Normally, over heating grows the grain making a weaker structure. You might test it and see if it performs to your needs. It might. Try it, but next time use a known steel that you can HT specs for.

Back