blade bending during heat treat

parian

can anyone tell me why my blades are bendining during heat treat.
I'm using 4mm O1, the blade is a bushcraft design with a scandi grind, i'm using a propane forge, heating to non magnetic and soaking for 10 min, I quench in veg oil.
I heat the blade forward of the handle and quench point first.

thanks

Ian

There could be a number of reasons. Are you normalizing before quenching? You could have some stresses that built up in the steel during grinding that is causing the warping. Are you getting an even heat? Are you agitating the blade during the quench and, if yes, in what direction? Are you getting the blade into the quench tank straight? How hot are you getting the blade; that is are you letting it get much brighter than the point at which it became non-magnetic or are you letting it get up into the bright orange, yellow range?

Doug

I had the same problem on a stick of steel a while back. I got a new stick and didnt have that problem anymore. But there are alot of reasons this could happen.

With 01, after the blades cools in the quench to around 400°, you have a 5 to 8 minute window in which you can hand straighten warpage wearing gloves, or using a heavy rag. In fact, at 400° and just under, it is easy to over correct.

Thanks for the info guys.
I think I need to go back to basics, I'll check everything you said doug and give it another go with a fresh batch of steel

Ian

Back