Heat treat information for A-2

I wrap my A2 blades in stainless tool wrap, and stick it in my oven cold; I'll then let the oven warm itself up to 1450F at which point I allow it to soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
Once that is done, I set the controller to 1750F. When it reaches that temperature, I'll soak it for 30 to 45 minutes.
After that, it's just a matter of taking out and letting it cool. You can also plate quench and/or hit it with compressed air if you like.

Now that's just how I do it, and I have gotten good results in the past. Some guys may argue that the ramping and soaking aren't as critical when dealing with steel in "blade" sizes, but I don't think it hurts anything.

btw: you might try posting this in the heat treating forum... I'm sure you'll get many more responses.

The recipe I am going to use is as follows:

Preheat as recommended

Austenize at 1725-1750 for 1/2 hour at temperature

Air quench to room temperature

Double temper at 400-425 one hour each temper, cooling to room temperature in between, preferably by quenching in water.

I don't know if my heat treater will do the water quenching. Target hardness is 62-63 HRc, but my knife is a thin chisel ground kitchen knife.

Back