"Rocky" the flying turtle

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
Seems like ever since I got into doing the new style sheaths an artistic side of me has started to come out. Here's a couple pictures of my latest project made from a piece of wrought iron wagon wheel. Right now its balancing on a piece of telegraph wire I sharpened to a point. Still got the base to make and have a few ideas I'm wanting to try. This is some wagon wheel that Wayne had given me. Actually the piece of iron telegraph wire came from him also.

When I started on this project I had no final outcome. Cut a basic shape out of the wagon wheel and just started forging blindly before I saw the turtle.

IMG_4477.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

I love it. Silly and cool at the same time. Hell, balance a couple of fish around him and say he is a sea turtle swimming.
havin' fun what its all about, big fella! (I say that, but I have a full-length sword with clay drying that I will spend at least 2 whole days polishing if it lives. Polishing is not fun at all - but they are beautiful when they are done...)

take care,
kc

Knife making it play too! It's just a little different for me when I am filling many orders.

Having most of my patterns standardized and water jet cut has changed things. I just promised myself I would just start with a bar and see where it goes after I fill a few more my Culinary patterns.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Seems like ever since I got into doing the new style sheaths an artistic side of me has started to come out. Here's a couple pictures of my latest project made from a piece of wrought iron wagon wheel. Right now its balancing on a piece of telegraph wire I sharpened to a point. Still got the base to make and have a few ideas I'm wanting to try. This is some wagon wheel that Wayne had given me. Actually the piece of iron telegraph wire came from him also.

When I started on this project I had no final outcome. Cut a basic shape out of the wagon wheel and just started forging blindly before I saw the turtle.

IMG_4477.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

Raymond,
Being a SCUBA diver that has watched these magnificent animals in the ocean, I can say you have captured one in mid stroke.

They do fly in the water. If you ever get the chance to see one at 20-30 feet of water, Please just observe it, And don't try to grab on and have it take you for a ride. This stress's them and can be very detrimental to their health.

Save that for the larger Manta Ray, They will take you around and seem to enjoy it!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Laurence, Actually the last time I did any diving was the end of 1970 way down in Mexico. Probably about 100 north of Acapulco. We just went snorkel diving since we were backpacking at the time. I don't recall seeing any sea turtle then but I think I had a manta ray swim underneath me. Scared the crap out of me since it was not expected. Both me and my friend got home from Nam that year and the trip was planed while over there. 2 whole months of escape. What a great trip. My friend had gone to one of the universities in Mexico City and had done a fair amount of traveling in Mexico. The place we went diving at had made a living off of the sea turtles so that's why we never saw any. My friend said there was a mountain of sea turtle shells prior to our visit.

Back