Picture1919.jpg

Picture1894.jpg

Picture1875.jpg

Picture1861.jpg

Picture1850.jpg

Picture2069-1.jpg

Picture1916.jpg

Plus 41 Busse Combat and Swamp Rat and Scrap Yard

Yeah I like the Crowell bowies I like his makers mark a lot , He told me it was an old armorer's mark, He's a super nice guy to boot.
Anthony

What is the handle material on that 5th from the bottom bowie with no makers mark on it that looks cool ?
Anthony

Stabber, I'll have to send you pics of my Crowell 25th Anniversary Bowie (25th Anniversary as a MS) when Jim finishes it. It's going to be a BEAST, 10" x 2.25" W-2 blade. :D

Stabber,
The 7th one down, what is the guard made out of? I was thinking bronze at first but then I thought it could be brass with some antiquing or aging, or acid washed. So I decided to stop thinking and ASK!

That is quite a collection of knives, did anyone else see a pattern there?
Big,.......Bigger.........BIGGEST!

I also noticed another trend there, with the intergals, absolutley beautiful work!!! Did you get in on Friday? I have a few more questions, but I'll have to wait until I get home tonight.

I love Jason Knights work, he has the best all around handle designs, his work does influence mine! Heck I've got pics I copied out of a magazine of a few of his, had my wife blow them up so I could study them closer, them I decided to hang them in my shop! So now I'm surrounded, on 2 walls, in my finishing corner, with his work!!!! Thanks for sharring, Rex

Ya know I just realized that these were purchased as an investment!!! Everyone of them appreciated when you walked out of the Waverly's door! SWEET! Beats the heck out of CD! And you can "play" with it,...... a little!

Stabber, I'll have to send you pics of my Crowell 25th Anniversary Bowie (25th Anniversary as a MS) when Jim finishes it. It's going to be a BEAST, 10" x 2.25" W-2 blade. :D

Murph, think you could send me some,too? On my personal email, easier to print them out that way, and Tina can take them and get them blown up with the copier/PLOTTER sized monster where she works! Thanks Bro`, Rex

I sure look forward to seeing it Murph

The Burt Foster Chopper? That is a Copper guar
Stabber,
The 7th one down, what is the guard made out of? I was thinking bronze at first but then I thought it could be brass with some antiquing or aging, or acid washed. So I decided to stop thinking and ASK!

That is quite a collection of knives, did anyone else see a pattern there?
Big,.......Bigger.........BIGGEST!

I also noticed another trend there, with the intergals, absolutley beautiful work!!! Did you get in on Friday? I have a few more questions, but I'll have to wait until I get home tonight.

I love Jason Knights work, he has the best all around handle designs, his work does influence mine! Heck I've got pics I copied out of a magazine of a few of his, had my wife blow them up so I could study them closer, them I decided to hang them in my shop! So now I'm surrounded, on 2 walls, in my finishing corner, with his work!!!! Thanks for sharring, Rex

Ya know I just realized that these were purchased as an investment!!! Everyone of them appreciated when you walked out of the Waverly's door! SWEET! Beats the heck out of CD! And you can "play" with it,...... a little!

LOL, Except for the Beer, Yes, My bags are Empty till I leave Blade :D
Man, what a haul!
You must pack your bags light when going to Blade. :)

Here ya go Stabber. Here are a couple of pics of it after forging. One as it hangs next to others he forged that day and one "in hand". Lastly, is a pic after having been rough ground.

37cd887b.jpg

882acc0e.jpg

85b02ca0.jpg

Murph,
Thats bout like being a proud PaPa! ...and here she is being born....<sniff> ...<sniff> aint she a beauty!!!

I'm kidding with ya, Bro`, but I aint` kidding about that one being a BEAUTY!, What are you going to handle her in?!?!?! I'm thinking some seriously sick IRON WOOD would be appropriate!!! Of course it won't really matter, that thing is gonna be awesome anyway it's dressed! Awesome, for sure!

One thing I've noticed about my knives is that I'm not getting that really sharp, definite plunge that everyone else is getting, I know a lot of mine is getting jacked up by my handsanding, but I do have to get my plunges straight, any ideas? Suggestions? Please, it started bothering me a lot more when I was studing the knives of the newest JS's, that was in Knives Illustrated I recently got, everyone of them has that same perfect plunge line! Anyone mind sharing this?!?! Great score Murph, and a collectors dream! Good for ya Bro`, Rex

The Burt Foster Chopper? That is a Copper guard

OK, I did not think it was copper, it wasn't even on my radar of possibilities...any idea what kind of treatment he did for it to turn that way? It is beautiful! I can see turning copper to look like bronze, I have plenty of copper and can get it in a lot of different sizes, I rarely see bronze anywhere, unless I'm missing something. Which would surprise, NO ONE!!! Is there anyone carrying bronze in good sizes, like 3/8th's thick? That I would like to know about? Thanks for the info, and Stabber, you really scored like nobody I've ever seen score!!!

Another question, the intergal chopper with the cord wrapped handle, who made it? And why the cord wrapped handle, I mean it's nice as it is, but with a choice piece of wood, it would have really POPPED! The way he transitioned from the intergal bolster to the blade is beautiful, and not easy to do! It takes a lot of knowledge, sweet hammer control and/or some nice machinery, like a press. To really nail it.

I was just curious about the makers thoughts, or thinking, when you get to that point in making a knife that is also a piece of art, only due to the exceptional workmanship or craftsmanship involved, when you get to that point where the maker says to himself, "What kind of handle do I want to put on this one?", I'm having a hard time understanding the why's? or the how comes? I am not critiquing this knife, or questioning the maker, please don't see this that way, I just want to understand for myself, as a maker the thought process the maker of that knife was thinking. That is, if you got the chance to ask him about it, I have had knives I've made with the plan to do it a certain way, but once I got down to fitting it with the furniture, my mind got changed because what I wanted to do, just didn't seem to fit. I am sure this knife was made by a well known and successful maker, simply because that is the knives you buy! Probably a Mastersmith, which I have no right to question, and I'm not questoning anything but the thought process he was going through. I guess I can undestand that he inteneded on this one being cord wrapped, and he followed his plan.

Thanks Bud, Your score on this one is, Stabber 16-0! Rex

Nothing yet. He forged the blade for our daughter's first knife while teaching the last "Intro" class at Old Washington. If I ever find time to get up to his shop, we are going to start working on it. It's going to be an interesting piece with a really cool story. It will be a really beautiful little tanto.

Back