2012 Macabee Hammer in--a few pics

NJStricker

I finally had a chance to make it to a hammer-in in the area, organized by Adlai Stein of Macabee Knives. It was an all-weekend event, but I only made it Saturday.

I rolled in about 10 a.m. The big event on Saturday was a repeat of last year's attempt at an iron smelt by Aldo Bruno and Lon Humphrey. Here's Aldo checking the slag. . .

IMG_0924.jpg

Here's Lon Humphrey and Andy Davis from the Mad Dwarf Workshop looking over the fire:

IMG_0943.jpg

Here's Adlai from Macabee knives watching. . .

IMG_0941.jpg

Andy and Aldo doing a spark test after pulling the billet from the fire. . .

IMG_0952.jpg

Hey Aldo, is this the photo you're going to autograph for me?

IMG_0955.jpg

Lon Humphrey on the power hammer getting the smelted iron into a more usable shape:

IMG_0959.jpg

There were a few other things going on throughout the day. I got to try out Fred Rowe's Bubble Jig. I had a good time talking to Fred about beagles and flat grinds.

Got to see a few blades and other things brought by some of the guys. Check out the G.I. Joe in armor. . .

IMG_0927.jpg

The armor and many of the knives on the table were by Ted Banning, including this guy:

IMG_0928.jpg

Matt Berkhouse giving a demo on file work. On the left, sitting on the picnic table is Bruce from Birddog Forge. . .

IMG_0963.jpg

Burton Harruff showed me a fighter he's working on. . .

IMG_0919.jpg

Toward the end of the day was a cutting comp. I didn't get to stick around to see who won, but here's an action shot. . .

IMG_0974.jpg

All in all I had a great time spending the day talking to people about knife making, though probably the best part for me was meeting a few people from some of the knife forums and putting faces with the names.

Nathan

Last edited:
It was nice meeting you Nathan and getting a chance to exchange ideas. Hope you come next year.

Fred

It was nice meeting you Nathan and getting a chance to exchange ideas. Hope you come next year.

Fred

I enjoyed meeting you and talking with you Fred. Sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to you before I left, but my wife, who was a saint and let me go that day, had been watching our 2 younguns and it was about time I gave her a break. I do hope to make it next year.

Nice to meet you in person Nathan. We live so close we need to get together and work on something sometime. I enjoyed the day and I too had to leave earlier than I would have liked to, my wife was glad to have me home as well. Talk to you later. -Burton

The guy doing the Filework demo is Matt Berkhouse, AKA Me. It was nice to meet ya. Man I do have a blast at those type of things!

Sorry Matt! I fixed it in the OP. It was great to meet you too, and I enjoyed seeing the filework done. It's one thing to see still pics on the forum WIP threads, much better to see the process in person.

Back