No Weld Grinder info

theWeatherman

I'm sorry guys but I have to ask because I have seen a little but not all the info that I would like.

For the guys who have made the NWG (No Weld Grinder), what was the cost, not including motor?

What type of cutting and drilling was involved?

I've seen that some of you guys had problems finding tubing, what are some of the different sizes that you could use?

Is everyone pretty happy with the NWG? What are the differences between the NWG and KMG?

Does anyone have any pictures of the platen attachment?

Last edited:
I guess after seeing the materials list I could make the frame and platen for ~$200 - $250.

I guess the important info that I really need is a heads up on the tubing and sizes?

And if anyone has a PDF of it instead of paper, can it be bought in PDF? I find that I loose the paper versions.

Last edited:
Here are pics of my NWG. <--click

I had trouble finding the right size tubing so I went with 1.5" square since it is a common size.
I also made my own receiver for the tool arms by welding four 3/8" bars together to form a tube that custom fits
the 1.5" tool arm tube.(sort of a KMG style receiver)

I'm lucky that I have a steel distributor near me that lets me rummage through the racks of "drops".
That is where I found the base. It's 4" x 10" tube with a 1/4" wall.

If you have trouble finding the exact stuff in the plans, improvise and over come.

Nothing says you are required to use exactly the same stuff as in the plans, but if you don't you will have to
adjust other things accordingly.

Mine runs like a top and tracks perfectly.
I modified mine to be direct drive with the variable speed.

Hope this helps.
Motor and VFD from Wayne Coe. Great guy to work with.

If you can afford it, go direct drive with a VFD. That's the way to go.

Its actually an aggravation to use a grinder without a VFD now.

Some have had trouble finding the 1.75" square tubing. If you can't just use 1.5" or 2" tubing. Alternatively, we sell every size if you can't find it locally.

I guess after seeing the materials list I could make the frame and platen for ~$200 - $250.

I guess the important info that I really need is a heads up on the tubing and sizes?

And if anyone has a PDF of it instead of paper, can it be bought in PDF? I find that I loose the paper versions.

Some have had trouble finding the 1.75" square tubing. If you can't just use 1.5" or 2" tubing. Alternatively, we sell every size if you can't find it locally.

Hey Boss, I sent you an email about the wheels the other day about the NWG, just to give you a heads up. Thanks!

Weatherman I bought all my tube from FC Iron and Metal and was not too bad on price- <$200? for all metal. Martin Salvage out on Hy34 between Loveland and Greely has a rack of old square tubing in the back of the lot, if can find it and it's still there. Also, they have used scrap equipment just north of office, where can find used motors. I scored 2 baldor 2hp DC motors for $100 when was building my NWG, and built a variable speed control for <$100 which has worked good.

Weatherman I bought all my tube from FC Iron and Metal and was not too bad on price- <$200? for all metal. Martin Salvage out on Hy34 between Loveland and Greely has a rack of old square tubing in the back of the lot, if can find it and it's still there. Also, they have used scrap equipment just north of office, where can find used motors. I scored 2 baldor 2hp DC motors for $100 when was building my NWG, and built a variable speed control for <$100 which has worked good.

Oh man!!! This helps alot. Motor here I come!!! I only have a .5hp.

I bought wheels from Sunray. USAKM has them now too. Make sure you get the "crowned" drive and idller wheels so they track the belt. I would start off with an 8" contact wheel for grinding. You will want to get a small wheel set up (1", 2", 3" etc dia wheels) and can buy the fixtures from USAKM and bolt to piece of tube and you're done. I made mine but it's not as slick as the aluminum ones.

Ausbrooks - when was the last time your were down at Martin Salvage. I called them and they said they think the motors are all gone but I might just go down there just to look. Other ideas so I don't have to buy a brand new 1.5 - 2hp 110V motor?

Been a while since I've been to Martin's- the place is a disaster but used stuff is cheap if can find it there. Having some kind of speed control is very desirable on a grinder, so can control cutting rate and heat build up. You can get by without a speed control by putting a multi-step pulley on the motor and reducing speed to a slower fixed rate. You can get a Harbor Freight motor pretty cheap- ideally a cap start cap run motor will have the most torque- they call them "farm duty" or "agricultural duty". For a grinder you want a TEFC- totally enclosed fan cooled- motor or you will get metal dust in the winding and it won't last long. You may check the recyling place right behind FC Iron and Metal - I went back there once and they literally had piles of old motors -I think they would sell you one- you would just have to find one that would work and that could be a workout-lol.

Yeah, I plan on using the pulleys. I just have to find a motor that won't be more than $200 I guess. If you run across one, please let me know

Back