My KITH is ready!

Patrick

Wasn't sure if I was going to make the deadline, but...It's Done!!!!!!!!!! Don't really know how it compares to others.

This started out as a piece of spring steel from some farm impliment found on the homestead. You can see what it was from. This was a humbling experience for me. It really took me back to the days when I started out making stuff with no power tools. Seems like a long time ago.

NTKith1.jpg

NTKith2.jpg

Copper rivets were used to hold the sheath together, 13 in all.

Any way this knife has a forged integral guard that I think is cool. Joe Keeslar taught me that at Batson’s in 2011. The knife took its shape without drawings. I didn’t have a plan when I set out. Wanted it to emerge from the steel into something.

The handle is some curly hickory given to me by a woodworker friend from just down the road. It has 100+ year old leather spacers that was from an old PTO belt that I got from the blacksmith that sold me my first forge. I used recycled copper tubing for the flared pins. First time flaring the pins. I wanted a true mechanical means to keep the handles on, only a bit of epoxy was used. There is just a hole for the thong to which I have attached a hank of leather with an antler bead.

NTKith3.jpg

OAL is 13"
Blade is 6.875"L x 1.875"W
Handle with guard is 5.375"
Filework on blade
Weight is 13.4oz or 380grams

I surely do hope whoever gets this knife likes it. It wore me out sanding it.

Pat

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words. Can't wait to send it off, er uh...get one of your knives. They're all nice.

Back