Circulating style quench tank.

Fred Rowe

DSC01465.JPG
DSC01466.JPG

DSC01461.JPG

I used a 40 mmm ammo can for this quench tank set up. The pump on the floor at left pumps from the bottom of the tank up through the ice filled container and back into the ammo can. The pid cotrol in the panel to the left, operates the bucket heater that is positioned in the ammo can. [Yellow sticker] This can is filled with 7 gallons of parks 50. I'm looking for another ammo can of this size to be used for a med. speed oil. The can will quench a 22 inch blade. The pump hosing has a mesh strainer in it where the scale is removed from the quench oil . Happy to answer any question,.

Now this is just plain awesome and along the lines of what I was thinking, just on a smaller scale, after Reading one of Kevin's post on another forum.

DSC01465.JPG
DSC01466.JPG

DSC01461.JPG

I used a 40 mmm ammo can for this quench tank set up. The pump on the floor at left pumps from the bottom of the tank up through the ice filled container and back into the ammo can. The pid cotrol in the panel to the left, operates the bucket heater that is positioned in the ammo can. [Yellow sticker] This can is filled with 7 gallons of parks 50. I'm looking for another ammo can of this size to be used for a med. speed oil. The can will quench a 22 inch blade. The pump hosing has a mesh strainer in it where the scale is removed from the quench oil . Happy to answer any question,.

Fred, it looks good, but I would extend your outlet from the cooler until it is beneath the surface of the main tank. The foaming gives me the heeby jeebies, that air gap where the cooled oil falls into the main tank is infusing air into the oil, something that is best avoided.

Fred, it looks good, but I would extend your outlet from the cooler until it is beneath the surface of the main tank. The foaming gives me the heeby jeebies, that air gap where the cooled oil falls into the main tank is infusing air into the oil, something that is best avoided.

Its so obvious I'm a little ashamed that I did not realize it until you pointed it out. Thanks for doing so. Its nice to have others looking over our shoulders, seeing what we do not see on our own.

Fred

Thanks for the great pictures Fred and the constructive feedback Kevin.

Take care, Craig

Back