knife number six for me, File knife

grafton

Have not made the time to mess with the forge in a while but I got out yesterday and made this one out of an old file. I guess I would call it a leuku or scalper. Handle is a piece of poplar, tang burned through, epoxied and one brass pin. Little bit of snapping turtle skin around the handle. blade is 8 1/2", handle is 4 1/2".

Almost ran out of charcoal and had just enough to finish the heat/quench/temper so I did what any neo tribal purist would do......use what you have (bench grinder). I realize now why most folks use grinders....talk about a time savings over draw filing and filing and filing....

I do not plan on going to the grinder for all knives but it was a learning experience.

Have not made a sheath for this one yet but will post photos if I do....thanks for looking.

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

High marks for that one! I personally like using a file. I find it strangly relaxing but someday, when I grow up I would like to get a belt grinder.

Far out Brother G....Reminds me of the early trade knives...I like the turtle...
I got a snapping tick off me this morning about that size....
Grinders....maybe soon..I'm starting to think like ole John Cohea..." If Indians would have had super glue, they would've used it"

Thanks Jonathan, messerist and Randy.. Ticks have been real bad this year around here too. As bad as I can remember.

I was planning on wrapping the whole handle with the turtle skin but I thought the poplar looked kind of nice with a little of the inner bark layer left on. I still have enough skin left to work into the sheath design when I get around to it. That big old turtle has been worked into a pile of projects now, two hawk handle wraps, a couple knives, sheaths, a double bit axe wrap, etc....it was worth the effort to tan it.

I don't plan on using the grinder for the next one but it was a learning experience. I do feel like I am getting better at charcoal/heat management and I now know what it feels like to have your hammer arm stop working...I was messing around with the forge and just beating some scrap metal around into worthless shapes for the hell of it and the arm just quit on me after a full day of it.....I need to build up my arm strength!

Back