Personal knife

red2615

Hello My name is Ryan Dodson, i am 18 years old and i want to be a weapons engineer, and i have started out with designing knives, but my problem is i have no way of getting my designs made and im not even sure if my designs are actually make able . if any knife makers who like design or even anybody who likes the design and knows about knives could give me hints and send me in the right direction to getting it made that would be really appreciated,
the attached file is the knife that i would like to see made and possibly get tips and help for it. thanks again.
sincerely
Ryan Dodsonknife pic.jpg

Ask yourself how the knife is to be used. How is it to function in the real world today. To be quite honest what you have designed seems to be part Dungeons and Dragons, part Klingon, part ancient traditional Chinese. I can see no utilitarian, sporting, or combat use for a blade like that. Remember that form needs to follow function. I know that I'm raining on your parade big time but I think that's how it is with that design.

Doug

well the handle is meant to fit in one hand and the blades go around it. ive been told its more of an art knife instead of like an actual weapon type knife, and no problem about raining on my parade haha, all critiscm is accepted good or bad, its really just meant for close quarters home defense type to me anyways, if some one broke into your house and you walked out with that in your hand i dont think they would want to mess with you.

the price i cant say you can try a web hunt to find a shop that well do (cnc) the cuts ore the same every time

Ok, here's the problems with your design. That round handle will make directional control difficult. Even making the cross section of the handle more oval will only help so much. The way the blades are mounted will increase torque on the handle compared with a traditional knife. Striking squarely with the blade greatly influences cutting and stabbing ability. The way the blades are formed one will get in the other's way for slashing plus, if you do hook someone with a blade, the points will dig in and drag more than slice. The blades as designed will also be more difficult to use for stabbing besides from the lack of controlability. The shape of the individual blades increases in width too quickly to stab well plus they are rather on the short side. If you want to use that instrument for role playing then leave the edges dull and enjoy yourself but there is nothing that that design will do that a straight single bladed knife will do much better. I know that you want to have someone tell you that it's a great design but it's not. Knifes have been used for fighting for longer than metal has been worked and the designed has long since been refined into what is optimal to the task.

If you are really concerned with defending against home invasion I would forget about cutting edged weapons all together unless you are prohibited from having a firearm. In the hands of an untrained fighter a baseball bat would be better than a knife. Far better would be to get a pump action shotgun. It's hard telling how many home invasions have been stopped when the perp heard the very distinctive that one makes when a round is chambered plus it will not be outclassed by a baseball bat.

Doug

Thanks for the tips. i never said it was a great design i just wanted some tips that would help me later on in my goals. All cristism i will see it as good, because even though its not it will still help me out. thanks

Honestly, I'd start over with designing. Begin with a specific purpose - stabbing, slashing, bludgeoning, etc... through the millennia, several people have tried to invent the "all in one" combat bladed weapon, but every one of them falls short in one category or another - if not all. So I'd suggest, pick your purpose, then research the heck out of it; get some ideas about what works, and what doesn't work; then start trying out new ideas on how you can make it better suited to said purpose. Once you've hit that point, maybe try adding some features that can make it more useful without detracting from its primary purpose. A cool looking drawing of a blade is one thing, but if you are going to invest the time and money into building or having one built, you should have most of the R&D legwork done way before you reach that point.

Necessity breeds innovation, not the other way around. Find the need, and invent from it. Good luck to you, and keep coming up with new designs and ideas. You definitely know everyone here will be brutally honest with their opinions!!

well i mean from the other knife makers i have talked to they say it would be considered an art peice anyways, so i mean its no more different then a scorpion style design that really doesnt have a purpose, its just there. but yea i will definatley keep designing knives i got a couple of other designs that arent the best but could be better.Knife 2.jpg going with like a just clear cut military boot style knife

definitely a better starting point for you. From that picture, I would say handle ergonomics would be an issue. I'd tweak that out a bit, and try making a knife.

that drawing program looks pretty cool. what is it?

Back