I like pointy things.

Rustyboy

I've kinda been on a forging frenzy lately, but i haven't been finishing a whole lot of them. Well that stopped this week finally got a few done.

this is my belduque inspired pointy knife. Often time i'll put a good bit of belly on my knives this is truly the first penetrating knife i've made.:D

The blade is 1084,that's 8" to the choil and 3/16 at the spine. the handle is a raggedy piece of antler i found the other day at a boy scout park where my daughter was on a field trip. It was pretty chalky but after a bit of sanding and a bath in some vinegaroo it came out nice. The blade has a 4" stick tang that pressure fit with shims and sealed with epoxy internally, then drilled for a single piano wire pin.

2012-05-26193500.jpg
[/IMG]

2012-05-26193427.jpg

2012-05-26193524.jpg

This long handled mini machete was saved from stromcrows recycle bucket. I brought it home, annealed and reground the tip, then heat treated and tempered. Over all length of the knife is a touch over 14" and is forged out of 3/4" round 5160 bar. the handle is wrapped in a bowers wrap with cotton cord and the turks head is macrame cord. All of it was then sealed with a mix of pine pitch and shellac. James makers mark is surrounded by my initials. Hope you like it James.

2012-05-26194436.jpg

2012-05-26194411.jpg

I'm really trying to get into the swing of smaller knives so this is one of my attempts at a normal sized knife.
This is my version of a 5" spear point utility knife. It's made from 1084 and cord wrapped with hemp and a paracord turks head knot. The spine is about 3/16 and distals to 3/32 at the tip. i think my wife has claimed it:)

2012-05-26194609.jpg

2012-05-26194555.jpg

thanks for looking.

If I remeber correctly, wooden wedges are how at least some of the seaxes were fit into their handles. I like how the spine mirrors the curve of the antler, but extends it.

I think you turned my broken blade into quite a nice knife! Silk purse from a sow's ear and all that. :) I think it's funny that our distinctly different forge finishes show in comparison between that one and the two you did all the work on. Oh, that was forged from 1 1/2" x 1/4" 5160, not round bar 5160.

Didn't your wife already claim a knife? She can't have them all!

I really like the utility blade and have to say that is the most creative use of a dirt clod I have ever seen.:35:

I like that 5" spear point that your wife has claimed! She has good taste, At least in knives!:biggrin: LOL.

All kidding aside I think you are on to something with that 5"er and would like to see more of those!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back