My (new to me) press.

calharkins

002.jpg

I bought this press from Al May. Billy Helton picked it up and delivered it to me. He helped me set it up and gave me instructions on using it. Billy is quite a friend. Just had to share with you guys.

Cal,
That is pretty sweet! What size piston is it? You've got to give some more info, a video of it mashing something would be better!! I am green with envy!!! I want one so bad I could almost build one!!!!

I did get a cool idea from a guy that makes these small presses for Jewelry making, the are basically an upside down U, or an "A frame" welded to a base plate, with an air over hydraulic jack used to apply pressure. My idea was to take the same principle and make it big enough for a cylinder, use several layers of steel to make the "U" shape, and bolt it together. If I could have 2 wishes, one would be, of course, for an endless supply of money! The other would be for the energy and health to be able to make every idea I come up with!!!!

Love your "NEW" press, you ever want to sell it, give me a call!!! I might even trade you the Pup....maybe....I'd have to really think about it...
Rex

Thats awesome , Im in the middle of building one . I purchased a hydrolic press from harbor freight ( 20 ton ) . Im reconstructing the whole deal . i got rid of the 20 ton bottle jack it came with and installed a real 20 ton piston that will be powered with a electric motor and pump system. Ill post some pics and give some more detail when Im done.

Calvin all the dies that you got are worth as much to you as the press itself. Ladder and his whirlwood pattern are NICE.

Thats awesome , Im in the middle of building one . I purchased a hydrolic press from harbor freight ( 20 ton ) . Im reconstructing the whole deal . i got rid of the 20 ton bottle jack it came with and installed a real 20 ton piston that will be powered with a electric motor and pump system. Ill post some pics and give some more detail when Im done.

Mikey,
Do you know all the right pieces and parts to buy, I used to look at Surplus Center, on-line they have all kinds of cylinders, they don't say anything like it will mash at 25 tons or anything like that , it will only give a psi rating to X pounds, like 2500 psi. They don't tell you which parts go with which parts, you can ask over and over and...you get the idea. I'm thinking I'm going to get more serious about building one, I'm not sure if I trust my welding enough for something like this, but I've got to start somewhere... I guess I've got plenty of time, I'm not going to be as cheap as I normally am, I'm going to build a press that will be all business!!! It will take me a while to save up the money just to buy the biggest cylinder I can afford!!! Mikey, if you know how to figure all that stuff out, mind sharing the knowledge with me? It would be helpful if you went to Surplus Center's web site and looked at what you think would be the best for the money, I think I remember something they did give details on, that if you bought A, you needed B as well, can't remember what it was, but I do remember they don't give very much in the way of details in the catalog or on-line, OR there was all the info I needed I just didn't know what I was looking at, all too possible! Thanks Bud! Rex

Calvin all the dies that you got are worth as much to you as the press itself. Ladder and his whirlwood pattern are NICE.

What dies! I didn't see no dies!!!<notice the cool use of a double negative while trying to act upset, that's how funny I am>;) What? Cal you got dies and didn't tell us, that's being a bad boy Cal, Ladder pattern and Whirlwind, did these come from Riverside? The names sound familiar, that reminds me that I will need to see how these go into the press so I can build mine to accept the mass produced dies and not the way of a deranged mind!!!
That makes a nice score all the nicer!!! Good for you, Cal! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy,...except maybe me! But that kinda stuff doesn't usually fall my way, unless it was broke and would cost the same as 2 brand new ones made by someone else and I wouldn't know any of that until I spent the money a little at a time!

So when are we going to see some Damascus? Good for you, Cal. Enjoy it Bro`, Rex

Rex, I don't know the specifics on the press. I just know it works. I do need to find out what they were. I am posting pics of some of the dies that came with the press. I won't have to buy any dies. I am also posting pictures of 2 of the 3 forges that came with it. There were a bunch of other related items as well as 3 books and 2 videos. Rex, I think that Al made the dies. He is a machinist.

Billy helped me start the first billet. We started with 11 layers. We welded that and the cut it into 3 pieces. That brings it up to 33 layers. I am going to cut that into 3 pieces and then cut that into 2 layers. Should be about 198 layers when finished. Now as to why I don't have it finished. The sweat was running off me like someone was pouring water on me. I got too hot and wound up with muscle cramps. I bet I have drank 6 quarts of gatorade since. I am going to start back maybe tomorrow.

By the way if I was to ever sell it, I would be proud to take the PUP in on the trade. I really enjoyed spending time with you both 2 years ago at Batson's.

007.jpg009.jpg008.jpg005.jpg

Last edited:
Cal I know most of the parts came from Atwoods. I don't know how much Al changed from your press to mine but that was the start.
When he built mine he liked it so much he built that one for himself.

I appreciate the information Mike. I hope the learning curve on making damascus is not too steep. Grin!

Thanks Wade. I got the 10 point 3 years ago. That deer is real special to me. My son was with me when i shot him and drug him out of the woods for me. We had a fine day together.

Mikey,
Do you know all the right pieces and parts to buy, I used to look at Surplus Center, on-line they have all kinds of cylinders, they don't say anything like it will mash at 25 tons or anything like that , it will only give a psi rating to X pounds, like 2500 psi. They don't tell you which parts go with which parts, you can ask over and over and...you get the idea. I'm thinking I'm going to get more serious about building one, I'm not sure if I trust my welding enough for something like this, but I've got to start somewhere... I guess I've got plenty of time, I'm not going to be as cheap as I normally am, I'm going to build a press that will be all business!!! It will take me a while to save up the money just to buy the biggest cylinder I can afford!!! Mikey, if you know how to figure all that stuff out, mind sharing the knowledge with me? It would be helpful if you went to Surplus Center's web site and looked at what you think would be the best for the money, I think I remember something they did give details on, that if you bought A, you needed B as well, can't remember what it was, but I do remember they don't give very much in the way of details in the catalog or on-line, OR there was all the info I needed I just didn't know what I was looking at, all too possible! Thanks Bud! Rex

Hey Rex , when Im done , Ill try to give you as much detail as possible..
One thing I can tell you from the start .. I bought a 20 ton press complete for about 200 bucks. I know If I were to build the same type of frame but a little more beefed up , I would have spent about the same in steel costs , so I figured Id start by buying the press , getting rid of the bottle jack and go from there .. I did buy a 20 ton piston that I mounted in place and beefed up the frame . Im also gonna make a foot cotrol for up and down to keep my hands free ..
Ill get into it more when done with pics .. Ill keep you posted . No worries.

Back