Stock Removal Integral?

theWeatherman

I was wondering if there was any suggestions on how to make an integral knife using only stock removal? I don't have a forge but I am interested in trying an integral knife.

Yes!.
Start Grinding. That's the short method, Seriously, Draw out what you want and get some steel and start grinding. Some will tell you to make it out of wood first.
That never worked for me. My designs start in my mind's eye, and I go from there!

Keep us posted!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

A mill could also help, if you want to make that kind of an investment in equipment. Basically, get a bar of steel that is big enough in all dimensions for the knife that you want and cut and grind away everything that doesn't look like a knife.

Doug

I've considered doing an intergral by stock removal, but it just doesnt seem efficient to me. I'm sure it can be done, and probably very nicely at that, it's purely a matter of whether you want to or not.

It kind of is a waste but it would be something that I would like to do since I do not forge.

Ideas on a thickness that would be appropriate to start with?

What Doug said, but there is a sort of other way. Many 18th c. knives with integral bolsters, were not really integral. The bolsters were forge welded on. With age and patina, the joints can be seen. Could this not be done with using a torch for the heat, and yet attached by the hammer in the same manner as forge welding? Might require some experimentation, but seems doable.

If you are going to add forging in, another way would be to prepare the knife blank by forging down the tang and the blade sections of the knife, rough forming the bolsters and pommel and then forming the knife with with grinder, saw, files. Just an idea, even though theWeatherman said that he didn't have access to a forge.

Doug

I've considered doing an intergral by stock removal, but it just doesnt seem efficient to me. I'm sure it can be done, and probably very nicely at that, it's purely a matter of whether you want to or not.

Yes it is not a very effiecent use of blade steel but when it's done right it will be an awesome knife. I'm sure it can be done to,ever hear of Edmund Davidson?

Back