Multiple woods in handle?

theWeatherman

I was hoping someone could tell me what it is called when you have multiple woods glued together for the handle scales? Whether it be a bolster and then wood or 2 or 3 different woods put together.

Do you just epoxy them together or is there a special way to get them together better?

Well I have been told that two woods in the same scale is the same as a bolster. My next question is there a good procedure to do the bolster so that you are not attaching the bolster and then the rear scales, meaning creating an entire scale for each side that matches?

You are over thinking all of this.

I have used Micarta for the bolster and then Maple for the scales. I angle at 30% epoxy and then Pin or bolt them on.

Keep things Simple!
You can add new tricks in as your knife making knowledge grows.
Good Luck.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Two woods in the same scale only makes one a bolster if one of them is in the position of a bolster. I've seen some quite intricate patterns made up of woods glued together. To keep the scales the same, glue them up in a block and then split the block on the band saw. If you are forced to glue end grain you may want to back the scales with some liner material to reinforce the joints.

Doug

Using different woods in an intricate pattern is call "marquetry". It is an art that uses different color and texture woods to create a pattern or scene.

I really think that you are just looking for a different colored bolster to offset your scales.

Steve

All good information. I didn't know that you should use an angle. I would have just mated them flat and square. I will have to work on a clever way to angle them at 30 degrees.

Back