sheath help

franklin

Hey guys wanted to do a sheath were the welt sticks out about half a inch then put pieces of leather fringes on it. what would be the best way to to keep them from coming out? Dont want to tie in a knot that would look tacky i think, help i am stomped i could cut slit in it and run back through?

One way I would do it is to include your fringe material along with the welt material when sewing. I know this is commonly done with garments made of deer and elk skin.

On the bottom of pipe bags the fringe was added and then slit on some of them..some are stitched in as a welt...
and then some were both ..I think you are talking about leaving the welt proud and then adding fringe to it..correct?
----------------------------------------------
Look at the center of the pipe bag drawing, the fringe was stitched to the outside of the bag upside down

fringe detail.jpg
-----------------------------------------------

and one of mine with both..The bag was stitched inside out, the long fringe is a "welt" and the shorter fringe was stitched on it like the above drawing....

bag fringe.JPG
-----------------------------------------------

and this one was stitched in as a welt...Like Ray said, I do suggest slitting the fringe after stitching...

black2.jpg
------------------------------------------------

and this one was whip stitched with long fringe strips added under the stitches...

cow bow1.JPG
------------------------------------------------

Brother, anyway you can get it on, in or around it still looks GOOD!!

Thanks guys that gave me a bunch of ideals on how to do this, now lets see what way i go. dead line is middle of june right?

Back