My humble KITH effort

Church & Son

Doctor still has me on the no hammer wagon but I still wanted to play so last week I went threw the Redbud Forge looking for a no/wimpy hammer project. This 'hawk head was hiding under about a thousand pounds of other unfinished iron. Looked threw the barn and found an Oak limb for the haft. This one is one of my belt/bag 'hawk heads, a little smaller than throwing 'hawks. Head is 5" x 2" with a 16" haft.

--Head is from a file, wrapped, filed and of course...rusted..
--Haft is Oak, drawknifed, scraped, torched and waxed..no dye
--A little of my rawhide and egg-tanned deer hide...dyed with homebrew walnut
--A few beads and tacks

kith3.jpg

kith5.jpg

kith2.jpg

kith4.jpg

A neighbor of the Redbud stopped by, one of my lovely brides show winning Sizzle hens...
She shares my love for cheese doodles...

kith1.jpg

If no objections to an old rusty/crusty...I'm in....Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Randy and "crusty/rusty". That not only is one cool looking chicken but brave too. Never seen a chicken hop up on a chopping block next to the chopper like that.:biggrin: Wade

Thank ya Gents...Wade, I will see the chopping block before my brides hens....
They are all named after blues/jazz singers..this is "Aretha"

SWEET entry Randy !

Too bad about those pesky Dr.'s orders. Great way to get past that no hammering rule !

-Josh

A hawk that should never be described as humble. Fantastic is more appropriate.

Last edited:
by the way, I know a couple of traditional medicine recipes that involve the blood from those sorts of chickens. If you wanna get your voo doo on, you got it made.

Your entry really makes me want to start making small axes/tomahawks. It looks really cool.
I just keep coming back to see it.
kc

Thanks Guys...
Kevin, my lovely bride is Cajun and my youngest son's nickname IS VooDoo...Why do you think she raises them???
be afraid..be very afraid...

These are a lot of fun to make...old files and all that mild iron you seem to collect? Just weld in a harder cutting edge...
Here's a couple from the "borrowed" archives...

folded-hawk.jpgaxes.jpg

Randy - I am with you. I am from East Texas. Lot of that stuff trickled over from your area to us.

Thanks for the pics on wrapping to make the eye. I am excited about this drawing, and I am going to have to make something like this soon.

kc

Well, I cut myself playing with this one yesterday so last night I made a cover..
Stuff lays around and I can't help but piddle with it....

kith7.jpg

Awesome job Randy , I love the whole deal along with the "Doctors Orders" , I guess thats one way of slippin around the hammer .. Great looking Hawk . Love it !

Back