Opinion on my blade finish?

theWeatherman

I was hoping you guys could tell me what you think about my blade finish. I have been just etching and leaving the black and grey finish but I wanted something a little different so I decided to etch and then polish.

Knife Finish.jpg

It looks like you did an edge quench, and a darn good one, too! What kind of steel is it? I've done a few edge quenched blades, but I wanted to get the wicked hamons like Don Hanson III gets, hasn't happened yet, I have gotten some decent ones, just not the dramatic wild ones he gets. If you ever get bit by the hamon bug, be careful, their like ticks, but Hamons bite a lot harder, and instead of blood, they drain you of the same energy and time you would have normally used to make 20 knives! I'm kidding, but not really, they became an obsession for me, I've had knives I've spent 60+ hours on, hand sanded then to a razors edge, trying to get a line to POP! Some did, some didn't, when you get the HT down almost perfect, that's when you'll start seeing more successes than failures. I still clay coat just about every knife I make, even if it shouldn't or doesn't need a hamon, I like a differential HT, but on a short blade, it's almost useless. Other than aesthetics, I love it when I can see one emerging from the etch, it is such a wonderful feeling. OK I know I'm a weirdo, but hey! That's how I roll!!!
Looking good, keep it up, Rex

I do the majority of my blades in a similar fashion. TIP: If you want to make it "pop", put a dab or Wenol or flitz on the blade, then lightly scrub it with #0000 steel wool. Afterward clean is with a clean, soft rag, then apply a coat of Mother's Carnauba Cleaner/Wax.

It'll come out something like this:

etchedmark-1.jpg

Rex - I like hamons as well... I use O-1.

Ed - I did use Flitz on this blade. I didn't use the steel wool though. I took the blade to 1000 grit initially but I found that I didn't like how the blade was etching so I took it to 400 grit, then etched and then sanded to 800 grit and then repeated about 4 or 5 times and then to finalize it I used flitz and a cotton ball then used Ren. Wax. When I finish the handle I will post the entire knife, but for now....

Taken On My phone - IMG_0379.jpg

Rex - I like hamons as well... I use O-1.

Ed - I did use Flitz on this blade. I didn't use the steel wool though. I took the blade to 1000 grit initially but I found that I didn't like how the blade was etching so I took it to 400 grit, then etched and then sanded to 800 grit and then repeated about 4 or 5 times and then to finalize it I used flitz and a cotton ball then used Ren. Wax. When I finish the handle I will post the entire knife, but for now....

Taken On My phone - View attachment 32465

Is this blade make from O-1? I'd have to look at the chem analysis to see if the traditional Hamon method will work, it has to be low in Manganese steel to get a Hamon to really POP.I have zero experience with 0-1, so I aint' got anything to say about how well it would turn out.

I'd like to get some of the 1084M that Don Hanson III has been using. I don't know if Aldo carries it, which would make it difficult for me to buy it from somewhere. While the South has many negative stigmatisms, we tend to be firecly loyal (at least I AM!). The mere thought of buying steel from someone else makes me queazy! He's always treated me like an illegitamate-red-headed-step-son , but has ALWAYS come through for me! So I'd either check with him for it or try some of the other lower carbon steels that a lot of makers are using more of, like 1080, 1070, and I really need to try some of the W-1 I have had for 3 years!!!

If you'd like to bring your edge quenched hamon out a some more (make it POP a little/to a lot louder), PM me and I'll give you my recipe for polishing it out, it's a bit long, but it works and the ingredients are cheap! Personally, I use Satanite (clay), but I have heard good results from some fireplace cement/mortar, that can be bought at Home Depot. I haven't used it so I can't say anything from experience, but it makes sense, if it should stand up to the temps in a fireplace, for prolonged periods of time, it should insulate the steel enough to keep it cool. Let me know Bro', Rex

Both of the pictures of the blades that I have posted on this thread are made out of O-1. From what I hear you can use traditional methods to get a hamon on O-1 but it is really hard and I have not seen any proof that it can be done.

PM sent to you Rex.

I'll save you the trouble and tell you, you can't get a fancy hamon with O1... a quench line yes, hamon no. Too much manganese, chromium, and tungsten.

That W2 Aldo has is the bomb if its hamon you want...:cool:

Back