My nephew wanted to make a knife...

martinjj

I had to watch my 9 year old nephew this afternoon and every time he is over he wants to to go out in the shop and make some thing. Most of the time he is also with his 11 year old brother and 5 year old sister, so my answer is always next time your over! It is to much of a headache to have three kids in my shop at once. Well he got me today!!! I figured I owed him one with all times I have said no. Well he wanted to make a knife, I tried to explain to him how long it takes to make a knife and he was giving me that look " you just don't to" I looked around and saw it! I asked him if he really wanted to see what it takes to make a knife and he said yes, of course! I tolled him that I would show him all the steps but he had to help! Well I just happened to have some painters sticks, type you mix 5 gallon buckets. So I had him draw out his knife and we would get started! Turned out to be a fun day with him!!014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg

I believe he has got what it takes! Thats great Martin. Not trying to take over your thread but Ive enclosed a pic of my daughter who is seven and her wooden folding knive we worked on together.

Attachments

• 02021931.jpg
    02021931.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 38
I suppose we all have more observers than time but I always wonder how my life would have turned out if I had been introduced to knifemaking about forty years sooner.

Outstanding! We all learned what we do from someone, how cool is it to learn from someone you love.

Back