My newest project

martinjj

Well I have been working on knife number 3, been having a hard time trying to decide on what type of handle I want to put on it. I looked around and every thing I liked was a bit to much in the cash department! So I thought I would try and make some Pine Cone scales. Well they may work and they may not work! I like to experiment so we shall see if it is worth it!
001.jpg002.jpg
Martin

Martin
Thise are just COOL!
Care to do a bit of WIP on how you did these? What kind of polymer or epoxy did you use? What type of pine cone??

Thanks for posting, they look great!

God Bless
Mike

Thanks Mike! So far it has been like making Micarta. I had some fiberglass resin left over from making Micarta. I did not like the resin for Micarta, It just came out to cloudy and dark. Well I wanted that smokey look with this project. I do have a 60 minute epoxy I could have used but it dries clear as glass, well almost!!!! Now I know some folks out there are or will frown on using a cheaper resin, well they are right but this is my first try at this and it is my third knife. When I got it down than I can see spending the big bucks on resin! I am not sure what type of pine cone, I will look at the Pine trees at the park next time I drive buy! I cut the Pine cones flat on both sides with my band saw. Placed the cone into a small bread pan, when I go garage saleing I tend to always pick up a bread pans for projects. I spray the bread pan with pam first!!! Pour the resin/epoxy(your choice) into the pan and let it do its thing and come back 24-36 hours later and than square it up on the band saw and cut in half. I than cut the blank out of it and fill some spots with epoxy or super glue. Next I have made is a fake knife with a painters stick, the type Home Depot gives out for free to mix paint. Why a painters stick, well there free and it is about the same thickness as the blade I am working on. I will put the Pine cone blanks on it temporary and shape it and fill in spots as needed. I have also made a piece shaped as a heart and will put it on my wifes key chain to see the durability of it
005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg

Martin

Martrin,
Next time, try adding some, meaning lots of pressure to the pine cone once it is saturated in epoxy. And try to get all the little thingy's ( I dont know what you call them, the thingy's that hold the seed pods in until it opens) to go back toward their closed position. The type of pine cone will most likely be Longleaf Pine of Loblolly, the most popular in our region of the world. Great idea, and I do LOVE the heart! Rex

Hey Rex I did push down on the cone into the resin until it started to set up. Are you also saying to squeeze the cone to a more closed cone?
Martin

That is one cool idea , I may have to give that a try one day .. Please keep the pics coming , Id love to see the finish result . Cool job MArtin.

Hey Rex I did push down on the cone into the resin until it started to set up. Are you also saying to squeeze the cone to a more closed cone?
Martin

Martin, I would try a couple of experiments, one being taking a fairly large cone, figure out a way to coax it back toward the closed position, you may have to design some sort of jig to hold it in the correct position, then mash it. I also thought it might be neat to add some color in between the pod holder (leaves), that way it will show when contouring. It should be some type of material that will shine, I was thinking of either colored epoxy, or maybe a small piece of copper. I might add that to the list of the other 1000 experiments, projects, etc., that I don't seem to ever get around too.

My next "Rexycarta' will be very interesting, my wife makes kids clothes, primarily little girls clothes and I got the idea for her t keep ALL of the small trimmings. I believe it will end up being gender specific handle material!

Let me know what you come up with, I know Pat at Ankrom has some beautiful handle scales with the Norwegian Spruce pine cone he sells. It maybe worthwhile to visit some state parks to see if you can find some old, old trees with huge pine cones, maybe shot for a hidden tang? Just an idea that might be interesting, Rex

That's pretty cool!!!

FYI, the MAS Epoxy Low Viscosity Resin and Hardener are almost water clear. Dyes from unwashed fabrics will actually tint the epoxy slightly. I believe the West System 105 series is pretty clear as well if you are looking for clear epoxies!

Hey Rex I was kinda thinking in that same direction. The cones are not all that forgiven, you start to push the pedals they begin to crack. I'm thinking of trying to apply some steam to them than place in a mold as the dry. I also was thinking of placing some brass in the pedals or dyeing the pine cone, lots of different ways to play with it.

Thanks for the heads up on Mas Epoxy Taz575!

I also tried my hand at making some Mosaicsiac pins, they came out pretty good! I jhaven'tvent been able to take a clear pic of it. I will keep trying!

Martin

Back